ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How to figure out which is dying, my screen or my graphics card or the CABLE?

(1/2) > >>

iphigenie:
I hope its the card, way cheaper than the screen, although the screen is on warranty

I am getting weird lines of dots, especially on blue and dark flat surfaces (like the start button or window title bars). The lines and dots flicker, and they seem to follow the image (i.e. if I move the window, the pattern of dots follows). The fact that it follows suggests to me that it is the graphics card rather than the screen, but I suspect there are utilities out there to test screens and graphics cards for problems and failure.

I am going to go trawl the search engines now but if anyone can recommend utilities they have used, let me know

iphigenie:
I have a nvidia based card and so far i have downloaded some generic pc diagnostics tools (mine are so out of date!)

and
1. nvidia perfhud http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvperfhud_home.html#downloads
maybe it can spot something

2. asus smartdoctor
since that is my manufacturer (i have asus mobo, gfx card, monitor - all because the wifi boxes i bought from asus worked so well) maybe it can do diagnostics in depth (here's to hoping!) neither were any help in diagnosis

I really could use a burn-in style comprehensive test - I have tufftest but that only does the memory of the GPU, there ought to be something more clever out there

f0dder:
Sounds like fscked up RAM on the GPU. Screen damage tends to be permanent dead pixels, usually cyan color (for TFTs anyway).

iphigenie:
Yes, it has to be the GPU - just trying to figure out what to see if it is fixable or if i need to buy a new card.

Reducing from 32 bit color to 16 bit color has removed all the weird effects, but that obviously is hardly a solution if something is going pear shaped on the memory - it could be other components too, from the cache or pipeline, since it seemed to be a rendering issue.

The tools from asus and nvidia above were no help - so I am not downloading some demos. I own tufftest and it does test the GPU memory but that takes the best part of a day so I will look for some more modern products to see if there is a faster way.

I will have to start a game to test some more, what a shame!

housetier:
Have you checked the cable?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version