ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Tagging Files (Tag Everything)

<< < (4/6) > >>

f0dder:
Has anyone noticed that the latest version of XYplorer 7.90.0100 lets you assign tags and comments to specific files and folders?  I don't know where or how it saves the data, though.  Total Commander uses the 4DOS DESCRIPT.ION system, which is convenient because some other programs use it too.-rjbull (February 07, 2009, 03:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
Perhaps NTFS ADS?

DonL:
Has anyone noticed that the latest version of XYplorer 7.90.0100 lets you assign tags and comments to specific files and folders?  I don't know where or how it saves the data, though.  Total Commander uses the 4DOS DESCRIPT.ION system, which is convenient because some other programs use it too.-rjbull (February 07, 2009, 03:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
Perhaps NTFS ADS?
-f0dder (February 08, 2009, 10:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
No. XY uses a database in an ultra-simple proprietary open source text format (it's described in the help file)
Advantages:
- ultrafast "searches" over tags ("list all blue and red files", etc. ...)
- works for files and folders the same
- files themselves are not changed
- works the same on all locations (also floppy, UNC/network, USB, whatever)
- portable (supposed the tagged files exist also on the other system)
- easy to load a different set of tags/comments
- easy to backup
Disadvantages:
- XYplorer has to maintain the DB when files are renamed or moved (but does it well)
- when other processes rename or move files the DB gets out of synch

rjbull:
XY uses a database in an ultra-simple proprietary open source text format (it's described in the help file)
-DonL (February 08, 2009, 11:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Apologies for not reading the Help file   :-[

I'd have preferred XY to use DESCRIPT.ION files for the comments, though I realise you're offering more features than a bare DESCRIPT.ION does, especially tags.  Is there any hope of bringing them together, at least by some kind of import/export conversion utility, external if necessary?

DonL:
Is there any hope of bringing them together, at least by some kind of import/export conversion utility, external if necessary?-rjbull (February 08, 2009, 03:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
Maybe later.

rjbull:
Maybe later.
-DonL (February 09, 2009, 01:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

OK, thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version