topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Tech News Weekly: Edition 45  (Read 22613 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Tech News Weekly: Edition 45
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 12:19 PM »
I haven't been back to their forum at Wilders for three or four weeks so I don’t know if they released an amazing update or what!

I haven't been there in a while, either, but I seriously doubt that they've released a comprehensive and amazing patch. The accusation I have read most over the years (also levelled at Corel with PaintShop Pro), is that they use their existing paid customers as beta testers and then charge them for the fruits of their labours (ie to upgrade to the next version). Thus, buying maintenance agreements from them is a good idea. As I mentioned (and Carol seems to have gone the same route), I upgraded a few years ago to the Workstation version (now called Echo) which hasn't had a numerical upgrade in ages but has been rock solid. This is a version for their corporate customers and seems to be updated fairly often. Maintenace agreements are cheap, as well - $16 a year.  A LOT cheaper then buying upgrades.

Caveat: I have no idea what the built-in burner is like with this version, never having tried it.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 03:39 PM »
I haven't been back to their forum at Wilders for three or four weeks so I don’t know if they released an amazing update or what!

I haven't been there in a while, either, but I seriously doubt that they've released a comprehensive and amazing patch. The accusation I have read most over the years (also levelled at Corel with PaintShop Pro), is that they use their existing paid customers as beta testers and then charge them for the fruits of their labours (ie to upgrade to the next version). Thus, buying maintenance agreements from them is a good idea. As I mentioned (and Carol seems to have gone the same route), I upgraded a few years ago to the Workstation version (now called Echo) which hasn't had a numerical upgrade in ages but has been rock solid. This is a version for their corporate customers and seems to be updated fairly often. Maintenace agreements are cheap, as well - $16 a year.  A LOT cheaper then buying upgrades.

Caveat: I have no idea what the built-in burner is like with this version, never having tried it.

Unfortunately they have no such agreements for the Acronis True Image Home versions.

Jim

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 07:32 PM »
Unfortunately they have no such agreements for the Acronis True Image Home versions.

Ah... pity. That's probably why I upgraded to the Workstation version! When they rolled out the Workstation version, they offered Home users a very attractive upgrade and I jumped. I've never regretted doing so. I wonder if they still have a reasonable upgrade price for Home licensees?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 10:39 PM »

Ah... pity. That's probably why I upgraded to the Workstation version! When they rolled out the Workstation version, they offered Home users a very attractive upgrade and I jumped. I've never regretted doing so. I wonder if they still have a reasonable upgrade price for Home licensees?

I've purchased every version since either ATI8 or 9 - except the 2009 version - and I never received any offer to upgrade to the Workstation version. They must not like me!  :down:

Jim