ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Should licensed Vista users get free upgrade to Windows 7?

(1/15) > >>

zridling:

Seems like this would be money better spent than on hundreds of millions on strange and bad ad campaigns. And it's not unprecedented in the software realm. If nothing else, it might slow the trickle of users who are lured by Linux and OS X.

Darwin:
Heh, heh - I've been thinking about this of late... It's a thorny issue, though: do they include plebs like me that got my copy from the OEM of my notebook? Smarter to offer free upgrades to people such as yourself who sprung for a boxed version and offer people such as myself a very cheap upgrade to Windows 7 - $50 or so. They'd actually make money off the upgrade. Point being, I can't see paying for fullprice for an upgrade to Windows 7 so soon after buying my notebook (August 2008). Now... if they'd get smart and take a page from Apple's pricing scheme, I'd be delerious ($149 or so for the OSX DVDs, period and $179-199 for a family pack, which covers a bunch - 3,4,5, 8? - of computers in the same household). Do away with having 47 versions of the OS and crippling versions further down the scale.

zridling:
Yea, they really should give up on all the different versions. Call the server version something else. If they offered a flat price like Apple does (is OS X still $129?), then that would help. It would certainly make advertising easier. But hey, how about a "lousy economy" discount? 
;D

Darwin:
how about a "lousy economy" discount?
-zridling (November 06, 2008, 02:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Works for me!

is OS X still $129?-zridling (November 06, 2008, 02:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not even... $109 at Amazon, which is the first place I looked. Likely available cheaper if you go looking.

EDIT: Dang! And the 5 user family pack is only $149!

kartal:
Licenced vista users should just install windows xp.  I just did that this weekend on my wife`s laptop and her laptop runs twice as fast and I do not need to spend another 100 bux to run it smoothly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version