ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

XULRunner - XUL & JS For Desktop Applications

<< < (2/2)

Ehtyar:
I'm currently re-learning Java development so I'm wondering what advantages XULRunner would have over Java since they are both cross-platform.
-VideoInPicture (September 14, 2008, 01:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
The BIG advantage I can see is it isn't Java ;)
-wuwei23 (October 08, 2008, 10:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hehehe, I was going to keep my mouth shut, but I see I needn't have :P
Seriously though, I can see it being more useful to people who are primarily experienced as web developers. XULRunner lets you create desktop apps using HTML/CSS/Javascript, which is a powerful combo if you're already using them.
--- End quote ---
HTML & JS are widely considered to be some of the best languages for beginners. I would consider XULRunner to also be a good training package, not just for web developers.
While I haven't tried it, I do plan on using XULRunner for at least a small project sometime soon, especially as its easy to use Python while doing so: Python XULRunner Application
--- End quote ---
I've come across the Python interface before, but not being a huge fan of python myself (shutup tin man :P) I never tried it. After reading your post I decided to give it a once over. The interoperability is rather impressive to me, though I don't see any huge benefit, unless you're really into python and don't mind the additional performance hit. The examples [1] provided there are a bit rough around the edges, so you will need to do some work to get them to run. If anyone woiuld like assistance in this area, feel free to reply or pm me.

Ehtyar.

wuwei23:
I've come across the Python interface before, but not being a huge fan of python myself (shutup tin man :P) I never tried it. After reading your post I decided to give it a once over. The interoperability is rather impressive to me, though I don't see any huge benefit, unless you're really into python and don't mind the additional performance hit.
-Ehtyar (October 08, 2008, 11:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

The benefit is that Python rawks and the only performance speed I really care about is how fast I can develop :)

The examples [1] provided there are a bit rough around the edges, so you will need to do some work to get them to run. If anyone woiuld like assistance in this area, feel free to reply or pm me.

--- End quote ---

I will definitely take you up on this offer once I start to play around with XULRunner, cheers!

tinjaw:
but not being a huge fan of python myself (shutup tin man :P) I never tried it.-Ehtyar (October 08, 2008, 11:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

:lol:

tinjaw:
While I haven't tried it, I do plan on using XULRunner for at least a small project sometime soon, especially as its easy to use Python while doing so: Python XULRunner Application
--- End quote ---

Just yesterday I exercised XULRunner from my Someday/Maybe list because I don't want to do Yet Another Framework. I am trying to concentrate on using Python exclusively so I can get better at it.

Then you post about this. Something I hadn't yet heard about.

:-*

(XULRunner + pyxpcomext) is now on the Someday/Maybe list

housetier:
I tried to run that simple xulrunner application also, but failed. There is something b0rken in my Linux-System: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xulrunner-1.9/+bug/295151

Let's when it'll be fixed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version