ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Christmas Gift Ideas Under $25... Make a List!

<< < (9/10) > >>

TAF2000:
::Blink::

You are kidding, right?

mouser:
Few things in my house are as essential to me as these Hefty OneZip bags, which i think would make a great stocking stuffer type gift for anyone:

http://heftybrands.pactiv.com/HeftyOneZip/OZFamily.aspx

I use them to organize all my loose cables, electronics, installation parts, manuals, etc.

kovi2:
Cannot help mentioning the strange website (posted already in another forum) where they say time can be a gift, lol:
www.haveagoodminute.com
Would any of you think they will sell one? :D

40hz:
If you know somebody who likes fantasy and humor, I'd suggest starting them on Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Zany British humor combined with some rock-solid imaginary physics. The beauty of Discworld is that it works on so many levels.

The Discworld is a flat planet - like a geological pizza, but without the anchovies. It offers sights far more impressive than those found in universes built by Creators with less imagination but more mechanical aptitude. It exists right on the edge of Reality; the least little things can break through from the other side. It is allowed to exist either because of some impossible blip on the curve of probability, or because the gods enjoy a joke as much as anyone else. More than most people in fact.

Chaotic as it sometimes appears, the Discworld clearly runs on a special set of natural laws, or at least on guidelines. There is gravity. There is cause-and-effect. There is eventuality - things happen after other things. After that, it becomes a little more confusing. The following theory can be gingerly advanced:

The Discworld should not exist. Flat is not a natural state for a planet. Turtles should grow only so big. The fact that it does exist means that it occupies an area of space where reality is extremely thin, where 'should be' no longer has the veto it has in the rest of the universe. The Discworld creates an extremely deep well in Reality in much the same way as an incontinent Black Hole creates a huge gravity well in the notorious rubber sheet of the universe.

The resulting tension seems to have created a permanent flux which, for want of a better word, we can call magic. There are several secondary effects, because the pressure of reality is so weak. Things that might nearly exist in a 'real' world, have no difficulty at all in existing in quite a natural state in the Discworld universe; so here there will be dragons, unicorns, sea serpents and so on. The rules are relaxed.
--- End quote ---

Here's an excerpt from the Chapter 1 of The Colour of Magic:

http://www.harpercollins.com/features/pratchettbooks/excerpt.aspx?isbn=9780061020704

I picked up the first book (The Colour of Magic) in paperback on a whim.

I now own every title. In hardcover. :Thmbsup:

Darwin:
Cool graphic, 40hz - sort of Mayan!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version