ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Kinook pulls the plug on Ultra Recall

<< < (3/3)

iphigenie:
i remember packrat, still have it somewhere

muntealb:
I'm not sure how much difference multilanguage versions would have made as producing them would have increased costs.
-Dormouse (November 01, 2008, 08:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think so. If a software has enough users, there are great chances that some of them would want to translate it. Usually this work is rewarded with a free license, but there are users that already purchased a license and will do the translation for free, because they like the software and want to increase the number of users.

A good localization (interface + manual) brings users and consequently money. Had Ultra Recall  been localized in the languages spoken by populations around or larger than 100 million people (french, spanish, japanese, chinese, etc.), probably it would have sold enough licenses to continue development. However, these means full support for Unicode, because asian languages need it. I don't know how difficult would have been for Ultra Recall to provide a language file (text file with the strings from the menus and options), but this could have saved the software.

patteo:
Kinook Software Forums - Roadmap
"Roadmap

Last updated on 10/30/2008

After four years of continuous development, we have made the difficult decision to suspend development of Ultra Recall due to weak sales in the global economic downturn. Kinook Software remains strong, with sales of our business-to-business software continuing to do very well. We'll continue to support the current version of Ultra Recall and will consider new development in the future if and when conditions warrant. Thank you to all of our customers."
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3204

I thought I would just post the post on Kinook Forums as I had a little bit of trouble loading it earlier on - Just in case it somehow disappears.

-patteo (November 01, 2008, 01:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wow, I did not know I could be so prescient - it has now disappeared and replaced with

Kinook Software Forums - Roadmap
"Roadmap

Last updated on 10/30/2008

Approximate Priority for Future Releases

# Highlight search results
# HTML export
# Reminder dialog enhancements
# Calendar pane
# Editing of cells in Related Items pane
# Always-on-top drag/drop target for importing into UR
# Revamp the help file
# Add columns to Data Explorer pane
# Ability to hide completed items in tree
# Two Data Explorer panes
# Investigate desktop search integration again
# Formatting of items in tree
# Expand/collapse in Related Items pane
# Automatic clipboard capture
# Keywords pane
# Tab enhancements
# Multi-DB search
# Item notes indicator
# Custom sorting in tree
# Calculated fields
# Column totals/calculations
# Search on internal links
# Queue import operations
# Flag attribute enhancements
# Filtering in tree

"
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3204

Maybe with the "Change" just happening in the U.S. there has been also a change of heart by the authors of Ultra Recall.

Hmm, the Audacity of Hope.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version