ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

beyond compare and superflexible both say I have gigs to synch, when it's kb

<< < (2/5) > >>

urlwolf:
ok, now I know for a fact that some file and folder dates are way off.
A file that I positively know I haven't looked at in years shows a date of 10/10/2008.
I'm really worried. What could have caused this?

Anyway, it looks like I cannot trust dates. What else can I do?
I can use SFFS with MD5sums; that could take ages, buy would keep the two HDs parallel.
But the interface that SFFS uses to show differences is so obscure (no two-pane; are we kidding?) that I don't trust what I'm doing anymore). No wonder the average user doesn't touch synch programs with a 5-meter stick :)

f0dder:
I was thinking of manually doing the md5sum with another app, just on a few of the perhaps erroneously reported files, to avoid any (if however insanely small :)) risk that the sync program has a bug.

I wouldn't know why your file dates are off - hasn't happened to me. What kind of files have their dates set wrongly? Why would they be "touched" at all? (buggy indexing software, buggy backup/restore, buggy antivirus...?)

NigelH:
urlwolf, before you decide, give Synchronize It! 3 a whirl as well.
I use BC for file/folder related code changes, but I use Synchronize It for internal/external drive synchronization.

urlwolf:
Thanks NigelH.
Have you used the 'packages' feature?
Why do you prefer it over SFFS?

urlwolf:
@NigelH: good catch.
The interface is very intuitive, and it's fast as hell!
It doesn't have some niceties from BC, like mp3 synch'ing (it shows tags!), but really efficient.
The GUI is a masterpiece; it shows in real time what it has found (like BC actually, but without the messy coloring)

The 'packages' feature is something to investigate. It wraps the results of an update; if it's small, you can place it on a usb key instead of carrying an external HD with you. I haven't tried it yet.
I've not seen a 'mirror' mode. Maybe one doesn't need it?
I feel this tool gives you the maximum feeling of control.

And also, it's not obvious to me if one can schedule profiles.

One nice thing: Projects. You can add a bunch of profiles to be run together as a project. This you can sorta do with SFFS by taking advantage of the hierarchical naming schemes, but you cannot mix and match 'profiles' that act on different partitions etc and group them (not that I know of at least).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version