ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

beyond compare and superflexible both say I have gigs to synch, when it's kb

(1/5) > >>

urlwolf:
I have settled to use an external HD to synch work/home computers.

I'm considering whether to use beyond compare or superflexible. BC is a lot faster to index and find the differences.

But! I must have some interesting problem with file dates!.
BC and superflexible both say I have gigs to synch, when I know it's kbs only (a day of work!). BC thinks it's 18 Gb, and SFFS says it's 2.4 GB.

Looking at the list (btw, BC is infinitely better in this aspect) they all find ridiculous matches. Files that I haven't touched in ages.

I have no idea what can go wrong. Do you have any suggestions where to start looking?

After months of continuous testing, I haven't found a program that does this right. This is ridiculous. It must be something deeply wrong with my filesystem, because I don't think two of the top players would go wrong (note they are not the same!).

It's getting to the point I want to throw my computer out of the window. Technology sucks, in an expectacular way.

mouser:
BC normally has a two-stage comparison -- first it shows preliminary list of file mismatches -- then you do a real compare and it tells you which files are actually different.  did you try that?

urlwolf:
Thanks mouser, in synch mode, I couldn't find the option you mention.
However, I think I found the problem.
All my folders in the source have a very recent date, which is wrong.
Some evil program may have changed the date in folders (not in files).
BC is fooled and thinks all contents must be different. (scratch that, not all folders).
But something really funny is going on with folder dates. they don't match.

On top of that, plety of files that have the exact same date are still detected as different (AND they are not of course) by BC.

If I find the culprit, I'll make sure everyone I know hears about this.

f0dder:
Hmmm, it sounds pretty weird that file timestamps should change without reason. What's changing, "last modified" or "creation date"? Also, I've never experienced Beyond-Compare reporting wrong when doing a file content compare - you might want to check the md5sum of some of the files you feel are being erroneously flagged as modified?

urlwolf:
Thanks F0dder.
Does BC offer an option for MD5sum?
I have no idea what's wrong. It's synch'ing 11000 files right now at work. No way I have modified that many files since the last sync.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version