ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help me build my new Home Theater PC

<< < (10/14) > >>

Josh:
I have decided to go with the CW02S-MXR case from Silverstone. It looks like the best of both worlds given that I really dont NEED an LCD but a VFD might be useful.

phillfri:
A case made of aluminum acts much more like an echo chamber than one made of steel, i.e. it amplifies internal case sounds. Higher end case manufacturers have tended toward using aluminum blended with other materials to counter this echo chamber amplification effect (increased noise level). I'd make sure that this case is appropriately blended aluminum and not just plain aluminum - giving recognition to the high-end nature of the HTPC you want to build and the money you're spending on it.

This case has been out there for 2+ years or more now, and there are almost no revews on it. That tells me to be careful because the HTPC geeks have not been hitting on this product. There must be a reason. My guess is first the price, and second the aluminum construction.

Josh:
no reviews? There are a few, not many, but each of them positive. I am open to ideas for cases still and this is by no means a finalization.

phillfri:
Actually I found a comparison review for you. Its in Swedish, but push the translation button. It will take a few seconds, but you'll end up with an english language page. Scroll down the page to the bottom and you'll see a comparison chart that you can double click on to enlarge. Actually, they cover a couple nice boxes in this review that I might take a look at myself. In the end, the CW02S-MXR gets a fairly decent rating (82 out of 100) - but it d^%# well better at $400.00 :>)

Comparison Review

Actually, there's a button at the bottom of the translated page that will take you to the home page of this site. Sadly, its all in Swedish - I couldn't fine an english language button anywhere. But it looks like they have a lot of good info here on HTPC equipment. If you use firefox I think there's an addin that will give you language translation on the firefox context menu. It might be worth installing that just to check this site out.

4wd:
This case has been out there for 2+ years or more now, and there are almost no revews on it. That tells me to be careful because the HTPC geeks have not been hitting on this product. There must be a reason. My guess is first the price, and second the aluminum construction.-phillfri (November 06, 2008, 12:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

According to someone who made a HTPC with it, it was new in October 2007, which makes it only a year old.

no reviews? There are a few, not many, but each of them positive. I am open to ideas for cases still and this is by no means a finalization.-Josh (November 06, 2008, 01:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

The suspension dampened HDD cage should take care of the resonance from any HDD vibration.

A little on the high side for my tastes but I assume you want the six drive bays for increasing storage later?

Also, given they provision it for use with water cooling, (two grommeted holes at the back), it would look really cool with one of these or these sitting next to it :D

Thats just it, there arent any really DECENT RCA connector speakers for use with these 5.1 systems. Heck, I can't find a set that does 7.1. Is there a way to convert standard red/black style connectors to RCA?-Josh (November 06, 2008, 08:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

OK, I'm confused, the normal red/black connectors are RCA......or did you mean convert the normal computer style 3.5mm stereo connectors to RCA?

If you meant the latter then adapters are available almost everywhere, eg. RadioShack
1/8" Right-Angle to Two RCA Plugs
RadioShack Gold Series Audio Y-Adapter

For computer to speakers/amp you usually need 3.5mm stereo plug, (1/8" to the non-metricised), to male red and black, (could be red/white), RCA connectors.

Plus, you can always buy the connectors and roll your own - what I usually do.

Addendum:
What would probably be better though, is choose a surround sound speaker system that can take SPDIFw input and just use a single TOSLinkw cable.
For example, the Logitech Z-5500 has both a S/PDIF optical and coaxial input so you'll only need one cable to connect to the HTPC.

I'm sure there will be comparable systems from Altec Lansing, JBL, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version