ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help me build my new Home Theater PC

<< < (6/14) > >>

4wd:
#1 by far - getting the QUIETEST components i could.  people always seem to overlook this, but bleeding edge graphics cards and hard drives are LOUD.  power supplies can be too.  For a multimedia pc i think youd be better off with slower cpu and lower powered graphics card that are quiet. just my 2 cent.-mouser (November 05, 2008, 02:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Josh is using the integrated graphics on the board, more than capable of handling any format and fanless.

Can you recommend a good case with a VFD display? What exactly is it?-Josh (November 05, 2008, 03:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

VFD - Vacuum Fluorescent Displayw, most commonly seen on VCRs.

For example, the Silverstone LC16M I mentioned previously.  You've also got the ThermalTake DH101 and Bach, Zalman HD135 among others.

Most manufacturers provide software for the display to interact with MCE.

There's also aftermarket VFDs, eg. ThermalTake Media LAB, there are others.

What you need to find out is exactly what you want to display and whether the supplied software is able to do it.

As can be seen above I have decided on the hard disk drives as well. 1x 10000RPM OS Drive (Western Digital) and 2x Seagate Barracuda's in a RAID 1 config for the data portion.

Thoughts?
--- End quote ---

Yeah, Seagate's are loud compared to Samsung and WD.  WD also has the highest MTBF rating, eg. Barracuda 7200.11 @ 750,000 hours; WD AV @ 1,000,000 hours (33% higher longevity).

Josh:
Per your recommendation 4wd, I am switching the 1TB WD AV-GP drives. I am just hoping the OS Drive wont overpower them.

brewmonkey:
Also, a question I have been pondering, would it be best to run 64-bit or 32-bit?
-Josh (November 03, 2008, 07:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

You need to run s 64-bit OS to take advantage of all 4 GBs of RAM.

Josh:
Yeah, that is something I have been toying with. I am thinking I will start out with 32 bit and then when Windows 7 pushes out, I am going to make the jump completely to 64 bit, including my workstation. I figure the system will be more than capable to run Windows 7 and as such, wont have any qualms upgrading it as I think the media center is getting a major overhaul in this next release. We shall see.

mjcummings:
you should go to tigerdirect.com and check the prices there ex:
1TB Sata 300 seagate drive $109.00
1.5TB Sata 300 seagate drive $ 149.00
Asus P5N-D Motherboard CPU RAM Bundle - nForce 750i SLI, Socket 775, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Processor OEM, Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB) $409.00 (minus a $30.00 rebate if you are into that)
they also have a Onkio 7.1 sound system (1000 + watts) for under 600

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version