ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help me build my new Home Theater PC

(1/14) > >>

Josh:
To the community,

I am looking at piecing together an HTPC to use with my existing TV/Media setup I have at home. This system will be designed in a manner so as to replace the need for all of the bulky components such as receivers, amps, optical media players, etc.

Right now, I have a few components selected but I am looking for input to help me select the right components so i don't get either A. Incompatible parts or B. Parts which will quickly outdate themselves.

Here is a list of parts along with what I have selected thus far:

ComponentComponent Info LinkPurchase Site PagePrice (USD)MotherboardCPUPower SupplyCaseOS Hard DriveData DrivesSound CardVideo CardMemoryTV Tuner/PVR DeviceNetwork CardBlu-Ray DrivePVR SoftwareRemote ControlMedia Serving ApplicationTOTAL COST
I want the hard drives to be setup in a raid 0+1 if possible (if cost effective) with 1TB to 1.5TB of space spread across two drives (2 750GB drives mirrored to two other 750GB drives). Memory I want to be at 4GB but I am unsure which brand to obtain. The big thing is the case/motherboard. I need a motherboard and case which is in as small of a form factor as possible but still allows me to accomplish what I want.

As for the network card, I am thinking that built into the mobo will suffice as I wont need anything spectacular and that will leave me with an open slot for the WiFi Adapter (which can also be USB if the form factor is visually stimulating).

So, with that said, what do you all think? I am open for input on ALL devices, even the ones I've already chosen, so please provide as much or as little feedback as you wish. My price range is negotiable so please, suggest all components. This is something I intend to last me a while so I am willing to spend the money up front. I am shooting for under 2000 but am willing to move higher if quality dictates (rather than cost effectiveness).

hollowlife1987:
I've never used this case as I've yet to make a HTPC but from the specs and looks of it this case seems very nice, tad on the expensive side though ($500).

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3424777&CatId=3429

40hz:
Not too much to suggest other than to get the best quality RAM you can afford. Most of the really oddball problems you will encounter will ultimately be traced back to a bad stick of RAM.

I've had very good luck with the Crucial and Kingston brands. They are what I use in most of the server-build projects I'm involved with. I have never had any problems with either brand.

http://www.crucial.com/store/drammemory.aspx

http://www.kingston.com/

:)

4wd:
Not too much to suggest other than to get the best quality RAM you can afford. Most of the really oddball problems you will encounter will ultimately be traced back to a bad stick of RAM.

I've had very good luck with the Crucial and Kingston brands. They are what I use in most of the server-build projects I'm involved with. I have never had any problems with either brand.-40hz (November 02, 2008, 12:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, I'd suggest getting RAM that has been tested with the board by the manufacturer and listed in the QVL for that board.

On the subject of motherboard, one that seems popular for HTPC applications is the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-DS2H.  The integrated ATI HD3200 GPU was the fastest onboard GPU up until the release of the new ATI HD3300, (AMD 790G chipset), and will decode anything you can throw at it.  And it does this without a fan, so it's very quiet.

The updated GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, ($110 @ Newegg), adds 128MB of DDR3 SidePort memory and fixes some HDMI interaction issues with Sony Bravia TVs.

Coupled with an AMD 4850e X2, ($60), or a Phenom 9150e/9350e, ($140/$170), should make a quiet HTPC with plenty of grunt but without having to buy a graphics card.

Integrated Gigabit LAN, 7.1 audio over HDMI until your preferred sound card is available.

A Zalman or Seasonic PSU for quietness and all housed in a Silverstone LC16M case, (that includes VFD and MCE compatible remote - although I'd probably prefer an RF remote).

Josh:
4wd, after reading up on your board. I decided to go one up and push to the GigaByte GA-MA790GP-DS4H board. For the cost difference, I feel it might be worth it to further invest in a higher capability board. Now, the case is my next big obstacle to tackle along with CPU and RAM. The NIC on this board is integrated and will suite my purposes unless someone can tell me of another card which might yield some sort of performance increase.

Also, the remote control I am learning comes with the FusionHDTV Card. Does anyone have any input on another remote which might function better and provide support for both Windows MCE (Vista) and controlling the Fusion Card?

Thanks everyone for your input thus far, this is an enlightening experience and will be the first time I have built a PC since about 2001. I had almost given up due to my inability to get a working system but I am feeling squirrely and ready to try again. Thanks and keep the input coming.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version