ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Codeweavers - no good deed goes unpunished

<< < (3/3)

Darwin:
Well, I registered etc etc.
But all I am offered is Mac downloads rather than Linux. No use to me at all.  :( Not quite sure how this happened, but it seems to have happened to a lot of other people too. I've requested a change, but am well aware that all the requests they are likely to receive from this will really overload a support system really intended for paying customers/other things.
-Dormouse (November 02, 2008, 08:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's a result of the server being hit so hard, the default was the Mac package - you had to select Linux when requesting the key. The server hit meant that often that part of the page didn't load properly. At least, that was my experience.

Sounds to me like another person/group/entity who lies and doesn't keep their word.

The world won't miss this company.
-Deozaan (November 02, 2008, 01:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm having trouble figuring this comment out as well? How did they lie/not keep their word? Do you mean because they've stopped the challenge with this point? Or is it something else?  :huh:

40hz:
Will they offer a full support package?
-nontroppo (November 02, 2008, 07:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. The download is fully licensed, and support is available once you register your copy's serial code

Sounds to me like another person/group/entity who lies and doesn't keep their word.

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure why you felt they didn't keep their word, but OK.

We'll have to disagree on the rest of your comment. Many of us Linux users will miss them if they disappear.

This isn't really a direct economic hit of  $52,462,500 right? The financial strain is in terms of the server punishment for downloads and possibly higher support requests, but they haven't had to pay for goods sent to people.

-nontroppo (November 02, 2008, 07:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, you are correct. The $52M represents what an economist would call an opportunity cost, as in forfeited future revenue. I'm sure (as I stated earlier) that there were no where near 750K people that you could say with certainty would have become actual customers. But I wouldn't be surprised if they lost a very real 30-50,000 sales units over the life of this release. At $70 bucks a pop, that's still not small change.

And I shudder to think what it's going to do to their support costs since this is one of those applications that new users have a lot of questions about.

As I see it they have lots of new users who even if 5% of them upgrade when the next major version is out, then they are in a financially great position.

--- End quote ---

Agree. But the question remains what it's 5% of. Will it be in the tens or the hundreds of thousands?

Anyway, it's all over now except for the shouting and the video. I'm sure it will be talked about for a long time to come.
 8)

Deozaan:

--- End quote ---

I'm having trouble figuring this comment out as well? How did they lie/not keep their word? Do you mean because they've stopped the challenge with this point? Or is it something else?  :huh:
-Darwin (November 02, 2008, 09:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe I misunderstood, but it sounds to me like they promised more stuff if, for instance, milk prices went down or other things like that, but they are ending it because they finally see that yeah, maybe milk prices are going to go down, and then they'll be obligated to hand out more free software.

So my point was that if they promised they'd do something if certain conditions were met, and are breaking their promise after only one condition was met, then they are liars and I say good riddance if they go out of business. :down: >:(

If that's not what's happening then I clearly misunderstood and I take back what I said. :-[

Darwin:
So my point was that if they promised they'd do something if certain conditions were met, and are breaking their promise after only one condition was met, then they are liars and I say good riddance if they go out of business. :down: >:(

If that's not what's happening then I clearly misunderstood and I take back what I said.
-Deozaan (November 02, 2008, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, it is *sort of* what's happening. Essentially (as I understand it), each time one of the conditions was met, their software was going to be free for a day. With the huge response to this giveaway, they've cancelled any future giveaways. So, really, they've delievered all of the "stuff" they were ever going to give, but have decided to make it a one time offering rather than doing it each time a condition was met. Personally, I'm OK with that, but I can see where you're coming from  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version