ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why social networks are a threat to life as some know it

<< < (4/7) > >>

kartal:
I am not talking about activating the account, I am talking about the invitation part.

f0dder:
I am not talking about activating the account, I am talking about the invitation part.
-kartal (November 01, 2008, 03:12 AM)
--- End quote ---
So, from an invitation, facebook gets your name + email address... how scary. I honestly don't understand your level of paranoia :huh:

Sure, could be used for spam - I haven't seen any, though. Perhaps because I don't install all of those useless 'applications' that facebook offers?

So far I've found facebook to be a pretty useful tool. Since most of my friends have an account there, planning events is so much easier than sending out emails, and calling/sms'ing those that don't check their emails regularly. And heck, I've even found people I had lost contact with.

kartal:
Good for you. bUt none of those things are convenient enough for me to sign up really.

Lets just stop using the word paranoia for now. Because what I am talking about has nothing to do with it. You people are just letting this social sites scam to be part of your daily routine which is fine.

I would like ask one thing thou, how come a big player like Microsoft(I believe it was ms) offered some zillion dollars to FB? Obviously there needs to be some sort of financial return so that MS offered such giant number. Do you think  that MS offered such giant number so that they could operate a public chat room only? You people are naive in my book.

-kartal (November 01, 2008, 03:12 AM)
--- End quote ---
So, from an invitation, facebook gets your name + email address... how scary. I honestly don't understand your level of paranoia :huh:

Sure, could be used for spam - I haven't seen any, though. Perhaps because I don't install all of those useless 'applications' that facebook offers?

So far I've found facebook to be a pretty useful tool. Since most of my friends have an account there, planning events is so much easier than sending out emails, and calling/sms'ing those that don't check their emails regularly. And heck, I've even found people I had lost contact with.
-f0dder (November 01, 2008, 03:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

f0dder:
Why do you call it a scam?

And I'm not naïve in my use of sites like facebook - I'm very well aware that it's datamined from here to eternity, and that you transfer ownership of any photos you upload to facebook. So what? I control what information and photos (if any) I submit to the site.

I think "paranoia" fits a lot better than "scam" :)

kartal:
That is precisely why it is a scam. Scams are not supposed to be detectable. You seem to recognize all the steps that leads  to the scam but somehow cannot connect the dots. Do not get me wrong please this is  not a personal attack. You recognize all the culprits in the system but somehow you think that sum of those culprits are harmless. I would also like to remind you a very very basic rule that governs everything in this life, " a system is more than sum of its parts".

Why do you call it a scam?

And I'm not naïve in my use of sites like facebook - I'm very well aware that it's datamined from here to eternity, and that you transfer ownership of any photos you upload to facebook. So what? I control what information and photos (if any) I submit to the site.

I think "paranoia" fits a lot better than "scam" :)
-f0dder (November 01, 2008, 04:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version