topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: An Idea about the "announce your poroduct section"  (Read 4996 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
An Idea about the "announce your poroduct section"
« on: October 30, 2008, 01:37 AM »
I'm not sure we get enough posts in the "Announce your Product" section to have this matter (yet), but i did think of 2 things we could do if we end up getting too many self-promotional posts there:

1) require that only after a few normal posts can you post an announcement there
(this might be traditional approach to cutting down adverts but im not sure it accomplishes what we want since some new coders/companies would want to tell us about their software for the first time they come to the site and not really a big reason why they shouldnt be able to).

2) require that only programmers or those who are directly involved in the product *creation* are allowed to post such announcements -- not company public relations people/marketers/hired affiliates.  i like this one -- it basically says we want to hear about your product but not if its just from someone doing paid posting, etc.

-mouser

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: An Idea about the "announce your poroduct section"
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 01:29 PM »
I like #2 and agree that there is no reason why a developer should be restricted from announcing his software on a first post in that section.

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 03:24 PM »
#2 sounds good.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 05:48 AM »
I agree with App, most of us on DC are Developers/designers so we need #2... :up:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 06:43 AM »
i think i nice complement to this would be to show a special block of text+links on the post page for anyone who has under 3 posts.

The block of text would simply describe our basic rules about posting and include links to the Announce your software section, etc.

In other words, it will be a little helper information / warning guidelines for people during their first few posts.