topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Apologies  (Read 24706 times)

gpetrant

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Apologies
« on: October 29, 2008, 12:46 PM »
I have obviously offended some members of Donation Coder with my admittedly very warped sense of humour.  It was not my intent to offend anyone, but I have, and I apologize for having done so.

To Deozaan:  I don't even know you, and nowhere in my post are you referenced, directly or indirectly, so I'm puzzled by your conclusion that I'm treating you like an idiot.  But thanks a lot for querying me for clarification first or giving me the opportunity to make amends for my offense (by editing my post and/or offering an apology) before resorting to muffling my thread.

I am resigning my membership, but not in anger or protest.  Web groups, clubs, and forums, are a lot like people: they have their own distinctive characters, personalities, and overall sense of humour.  I have mine, which I wouldn't change for the world, and therefore accept that I won't (nor shouldn't) fit in everywhere.  For the short time that I was a member of DC, I've come to regard both your in-house applications as well as your discounts for top quality software by commercial developers, as first class.  I sincerely wish DC and its members continued success, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend your site to anyone interested in programming or who'd like to belong to a community of others who enjoy developing/using great software.

Thanks,

Glenn Petrant
Shywolf

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: Apologies
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 12:53 PM »
Glenn,

Stick around a while.

I appreciate this post and your spirit -- you didn't offend me i just thought it was a very *very* weird post.  But then i have a friend who is quite fond of erotic origami so i'm used to people with strange hobbies.

I think the post made a few people uncomfortable, especially since we have kids on DC, but i think more importantly is the fact that it just didn't really fit in with most of the posts here which have to do with computers, and when you add it all up -- it was just a bit borderline appropriate.

Anyway, like i said, i hope you'll stick around and not completely give up your unique personality.  I guess what i'm saying is, i hope you decide that even if it may be that some small portions of your sense of humour will be viewed as outside the scope of dc, you'll also have faith that some parts of it might fit in perfectly in time :)

i'd understand if you felt like it was asking you to compromise too much to stick around.. but i'm hoping not.

-mouser

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 01:15 PM »
I hope you stick around as well, Glenn. Your post was inappropriate in part because there was no context provided to indicate that it was meant to be humourous, and, frankly, came across more as spam than anything.

Your bio indicates that you have a fair amount of experience and expertise in programming and computer usage/maintenance so you're in good company here!

You'll find that there is a vast range of personalities, politics and worldviews represented here - there's no reason why you shouldn't fit in as well.

Hope you heed mouser's advice and give it a shot.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 03:57 PM »
Glenn,

I can't help but feeling that your decision to resign your membership is a bit extreme. Nobody is asking you to change anything about yourself, including your self-styled "warped sense of humor." 

I might have been inclined to give you the benefit of the doubt and think you weren't trying to get a rise out of the forum members with your earlier post. But after reading what you wrote in your profile, I just can't help but come away with the impression that you are the sort of person that likes to push other people's buttons.

Now that's all well and good if you can get away with it. But from my own observations, that happy circumstance only occurs when the person 'pushing the buttons' also happens to be the strongest 'personality' in the room.

Well...what can I say? If you spend any amount of time on DC's forums you'll notice that there are a lot of strong personalities present - many who have an equally warped sense of humor - coupled with a supply of barbed wit to spare! Push buttons on people like these and you'll quickly discover they're apt to push back.

Now if you feel the need to resign from DC just because your attempt at humor didn't fly with some of the forum members, then I don't think there's much anyone could say to make you change your mind. However, there are three things you might want to consider before you ride off into the sunset:

1) None of us can claim to post pure gold. Sometimes you'll be misunderstood. When that happens, all you can do is try to clarify. And occasionally, you'll post something that just crashes and burns. When that happens, all you can do is get over it.

2) Nobody automatically dislikes you as a person just because they don't like everything you post.

3) A simple truth: There are only two people that can kick you off DonationCoder. One person is Mouser - the other person is yourself.

Mouser isn't kicking anyone out. In fact, he has personally asked you to stay. There are not too many forum administrators that would do that.

Looks to me like the ball's in your court. :)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 09:01 PM by 40hz »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 04:11 PM »
Same for me, Glenn. Hope you're revisiting this post and stay with us. Variety is the spice, my friend. And if you can't help but insert a little sexual innuendo into a post, simply label it NSFW or something. So please, come back dude!

:D

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 01:44 PM »
Glenn,

I did find your post quite amusing, and I was almost tempted to respond to it, but I really didn't want to continue a thread that would have been inappropriate for this site.

I have a warped sense of humor too, but I try not to show it too much on this site and save it for a site where it is more appropriate.

I hope you will change your mind and stay. Just like mouser, I would hate to think that the other side of you that fits in here great, can't continue to be expressed here.

We all have many facets to our personalities and no one site can fill all our needs of expressing those many sides.

I think this site could be good for expressing the sides that love software, coding, computers, technology, and all things within geekdom that we all share in common.

The rest of it that is too warped and inappropriate for this forum, can be expressed elsewhere (like I do). If you need a place for that, PM me and I'll give you a link to where the most warped sense of humor would find itself right at home.

That way you can express all sides of yourself and we all can be happy.

gpetrant

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 12:20 AM »
I'm staying.  I read each of your warm and thoughtful comments (a hearty thank you), and perhaps I would be cheating myself out of an opportunity to express my inner geek in community with other (inner or outer) geeks.  My manly charisma could take a serious hit if I'm ever caught here, but hey, who says I have to tell anybody I belong to Donation Coder?  I mean, Firefox has some excellent add-ons that'll switch my screen if I'm ever caught browsing the site.  Plus I can erase all my tracks just like I do for...umm...'educational' sites.  (Education is the foundation of good mental health, so I need lots of it.)

On a serious note: as you've probably concluded by now, remaining serious is a serious challenge for me, and I could be a corrupting influence.  But if you guys are willing to risk it, then so am I.  I'll take a more watch and learn approach, focusing on what drew me here in the first place: the chicks crafting and sharing information/recommendations on useful quality software.  So again, thank you for your warm comments.

Glenn Petrant
Shywolf

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 01:15 AM »
Glenn,

Glad to see you are staying, I also have a warped sense of humor and often have to re-think some posts before posting.

I hope you enjoy it here.

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 01:41 AM »
I'm pleased.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 01:46 AM »
Good choice Glenn, welcome

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 02:22 AM »
Here's a welcome bonus gift for staying around ...

Spoiler
463381892_d14c5d1d7b.jpg

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 02:23 AM »
 ;D

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 02:52 AM »
Phil, that's just _obscene_! Mouser!!!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 03:14 AM »
stop teasing your sister or i'll send you to your room without desert dessert!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 04:26 AM by mouser »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 03:21 AM »
Glad to hear it, Glenn!

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 03:56 AM »
(Only coz the chief is a known good sport!)
poster99896278.jpg
 :P

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 04:26 AM »
dang it. >:(

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 10:09 AM »
Buttons...buttons...buttons... 8)

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 03:51 PM »
PhilB66's image isn't as bad as a certain Danish public service ad, urging you to eat more vegetables.  :D

I won't link to it, do your own Google search.

gpetrant

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 04:38 AM »
You guys are seriously sick.  I've never fit in so fast (anywhere) in all my life.  (umm...is there a way to get out or is it, like, you know, a pact with the devil sort of deal?  I have an unmarried sister.  Can I trade her for my soul?  If I throw in a discount coupon for Windows Vista Ultimate and a McHappy Meal?  :( )

Shywolf

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 05:21 AM »
I propose a new T-shirt for totally addicted members:

gpetrant

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 05:30 AM »
 :up: :beerchug:
Shywolf

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 05:32 AM »
I propose a new T-shirt for totally addicted members
* scancode wants one!

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 07:06 AM »
I have an unmarried sister.  Can I trade her for my soul?  If I throw in a discount coupon for Windows Vista Ultimate and a McHappy Meal?  :( )

Both are depreciating assets...  no deal :down:

gpetrant

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 07:39 AM »
She's a diagnosed nymphomaniac and a dead ringer for Scarlett Johansson.  Her idea of romance is shouting 'You.  Bedroom.  Now!'  She owns a Falcon Northwest Mach V (Core i7) gaming rig loaded with 'educational' movies and a library of first person shooters & real time strategy games.  She's self-supporting, enjoys long walks on the beach, and is a proud 'naturist' around the house.  But...well, I guess she isn't for everybody; so, anyone else?   ::)
Shywolf