ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

microsofts anti piracy measures in china

(1/4) > >>

Davidtheo:
Would you class this is spending malware? Microsoft makes computer screens turn black.

Kingsoft reacts to microsofts anti piracy measures in china

The question I am asking is "Does Microsoft putting software on computers that make the screens turn black without the user knowing or knowledge count as malware" the legal software industry in china is NOT part of the question.

EDITED: to make the question clearer.

zridling:
This is why I'm totally against piracy. If you're going to use proprietary, commercial software or shareware, you gotta pay for it. Otherwise, you're subject to this kind of action when you don't. Like it or not.

There's donationware; freeware; and open source as alternatives. In other words, don't use any Microsoft product you're not willing to pay for.

Davidtheo:
yes but the question is: "If the users does not known MS is putting this software that turns the screen black on their computer is it classed as malware"

nosh:
Going under the assumption that the software is actually illegal, that would be like a bank robber complaining about the cash that blew up in his face and inked him red.

Theoretical arguments aside, I can see a lot of legit users (read: Westerners) seeing red black because of this.

MS's anti-piracy measures at the ground level are a total fcuking joke in India and I've even called up their anti-piracy hotline and mentioned that to the automaton who answered it. MS's software is widely regarded as free for the home user and every kid knows exactly where to go and buy something like the latest MS Office suite for around $2-3. This bit of knowledge has strangely evaded MS and its crack anti-piracy squad, maybe they're too busy figuring out which shade of black will least aggravate their legit users.

And your link seems to be more of a plug for Kingsoft than anything else.

Edit: Location mentioned for clarity.

Davidtheo:

And your link seems to be more of a plug for Kingsoft than anything else.

-nosh (October 29, 2008, 02:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
sorry about that I did not write the news report, and this is not meant to be a plug for KS.
And yes I do work for KS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version