topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Printers that print on paper-roll ?  (Read 9347 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Printers that print on paper-roll ?
« on: October 28, 2008, 08:36 AM »
Does anyone know of any printers (other than Epson - see below) that can print good quality graphic images from roll-paper
  • Quality is important but,
  • Colour accuracy is not
  • Graphic images = mostly outlines (black) with some flat colours

I've got to print some graphic stuff up to a metre/yard long and 280mm/11inches high or else get it done professionally so I'm checking out the possibilities. So I guess what I need is an A3 (double letter-size?) printer that can print on a roll

I've checked out the obvious - Canon and Epson printers
Canon dont seem to offer this. Epson do, with the R1900 being the cheapest - which isnt cheap [€500] - this is a high quality photo printer.

So as said initially, I'm looking to know does anyone know of any other printers that can print good quality prints from roll-paper?
Tom

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Printers that print on paper-roll ?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 08:52 AM »
 :o I managed to mis-read the subject line as "Printers that print on bog-roll ?"

For printing on roll-paper, there's this line from HP:

http://h10010.www1.h...2-18972-3328061.html

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 08:57 AM »
:o I managed to mis-read the subject line as "Printers that print on bog-roll ?"

seems to be a kindof a theme there for you lately Mike ;D

thanks for the link!
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 08:59 AM »

hmm, maybe the Epson is a bargain after all ...
Tom

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 09:02 AM »

hmm, maybe the Epson is a bargain after all ...

Yeah, especially considering that the first HP that I saw was $14,000 and the second $49,000! I was pleased to have found one for you for $1,400 and change. Ingrate! Seriously, though, it does seem a bit odd to me that there are not more (obvious) manufacturers of these types of printers and at a more realistic price. Very small market, I guess...

I was thinking that used may be the way to go. Now that you've a couple of manufacturers and the descriptions to go on, might be time to search eBay, for a start. These types of high-end printers never really die, in my experience, so I'd check with regional governmental offices and surplus office supply stores, etc. Just a thought. Be careful about consumables, though - it'd be terrible to buy a printer you can't get ink or a paper roll for!

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 10:16 AM »

seems to be a kindof a theme there for you lately Mike ;D

thanks for the link!
You're not the only one...
http://www.halfbaker...let_20roll_20printer
;D ;D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 12:00 PM »
 ;D Thanks for that, Edvard! Have to observe, though, that this is a rather crappy idea  :P

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 12:08 PM »
;D Thanks for that, Edvard! Have to observe, though, that this is a rather crappy idea  :P

inky too, maybe ? ;D
Tom

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 12:36 PM »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 05:55 AM »
I'm a big fan of Canon printers but I'm totally pissed off with their websites -
I'm unable to contact them to ask them a simple pre-sales questions in spite of registering - maybe it's possible but they keep sending you around in circles .. really hate that $%/&§ (nothing like a §$%& to make you feel better ;))

HP in comparison offer live-chat on their sites ....

I'm trying to find out if the PIXMA iX4000 does banner printing. Link is to canon europe.
I cant find the printer, even under a different name in the "Americas" website...
Tom

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 07:41 AM »
Hard to tell if this forum posting from 2004 is still relevant (refers to the i9000 and i9900). Noteworthy is this observation:

So Canon basically admits to crippling their own 'professional' printers because it does not yet produce its own line of Canon brand banner paper! This affects their entire large format line, the S9000, the i9100 and the i9900. I do further research and find that many people are angry with Canon for this intentional lack of functionality, and others make additional references to Canon's lack of banner paper being the reasoning.

Looking at the paper sizes available available from Canon for the iX4000, it looks like the max is 19" in length.

Googling for the info, as I'm sure you've discovered is VERY frustrating as well...

Have you tried contacting them by 'phone (not that that is likely to be a very rewarding experience!)?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 08:27 AM »
Hard to tell if this forum posting from 2004 is still relevant (refers to the i9000 and i9900). Noteworthy is this observation:

So Canon basically admits to crippling their own 'professional' printers because it does not yet produce its own line of Canon brand banner paper! This affects their entire large format line, the S9000, the i9100 and the i9900. I do further research and find that many people are angry with Canon for this intentional lack of functionality, and others make additional references to Canon's lack of banner paper being the reasoning.

thanks Mike,
yeah I found some forum posts but not that one (wow is all I can say - should I laugh or cry :( ;D)
I think they used to offer the banner option on earlier printers but I'm not at all sure anymore

I'll try HP first see how I get on - would be happy not to give Canon the business after their websites wasting so much of my time >:(
Tom

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 08:39 AM »
From what I've read, Canon's Win98 drivers (for those printerst that they produced them for, including the i9000) did support banner printing while the NT basted OS drivers do not...

Crazy!

Good luck with this - it still might be worth trying to call Canon (though I imagine that you'll need to block off a LOT of time for this as no doubt you'll bounce from rep to rep while they scramble to answer your question   ;)).