topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:49 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Best Python IDE  (Read 66323 times)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Best Python IDE
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2010, 02:13 PM »
Here is my current conclusion

I think that the best Python editor is
Vim(gvim) + Ipython(when possible)
There are some scripts for Vim under Linux that makes Ipython embedding possible inside Vim. But on Windows I could not find any viable option to have a sensible Python shell inside Vim

the best Python IDE is
Eclipse+Pydev+Vim(via Eclim)+Vrapper(Vim commands inside Eclipse)

I know that WingsIde and Komodo Ides are pretty neat too, but they are way out of my budget. To me writing Python code is more about having some fun and learning so my needs are mainly about editing speed, searching etc. I do not have needs like Team environment and serious source code versioning.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 02:15 PM by kartal »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2010, 03:05 PM »
i'm trying pyscripter for really bare bones editing and running small scripts and am happy with its interface; the others just seemed to heavy for my primitive needs to tinker.

ps. i know this won't win me any fans but python syntax, especially object oriented stuff, is much, much worse than i remembered since the last time i did real python coding a couple years ago.  coming from a c++ background, it's pretty close to unbearable.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2010, 04:33 PM »
What I like about Pyscripter is that you do not need to save a script to run the script. So I use it as scratch pad frequently although it offers very sophisticated tools.  I am addicted to Vim and MicroEmacs, so for me using any other editor to write scripts is not that much fun. On the  other hand if you are starting Python I think that Pyscripter is very well defined tool and it helps alot along the  way. One other nice thing with Pyscripter is that it has inline Python shell and it is very light weight compared to Eclipse or Netbeans.

mouser, would  you mind explaining basic differences between C++ and Python oop stuff? I just have very small understanding of C++. The main programming languages I have ever used are Tubo Pascal 5 :) and Python

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2010, 05:34 PM »
by the way, i have to withdraw my recommendation of pyscripter because of a rather glaring and serious bug where it insists on running older versions of files:
http://code.google.c...issues/detail?id=256

reckoner

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2010, 06:08 PM »
Wing is the best for the simple reason that it is one of the few that allows completion while in debug mode.

it's not cheap, though. On the other hand, it has saved me on more than one occasion when no other combination of tools would work (i.e. catching intermediate Python processes fired by other processes).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2010, 07:53 PM »
The debate about annoyances with Python was not appropriate for this thread, and so has been moved here: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=21479.0