ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best Python IDE

<< < (4/12) > >>

ajp:
I was an SPE enthusiast for some time. Having a real debugger becomes a must for certain projects. But now that I've done more Zope/Plone development, I find myself resorting to my favourite programming editor: PSPad. It's free (as in beer), it has an advanced templating system (they call it "clips"), it's faster/lighter than Eclipse and does a great job for most text-editing tasks.

No debugger or instrospection, but I like it a lot.

jdmarch:
I tried Komodo/ActiveState for a bit, but have tentatively settled on Wing IDE.  I like its convenient integration of interpreter, editor with smart symbol lookup, and interactive debugger, but I do still keep my old familiar editor open in parallel, when I want to do significant refactoring. For now I'm using the $35 personal version of Wing IDE, but expect to eventually consider the $180 Pro version for its greater code browsing abilities.

simakuutio:
I use Wingware's Wing IDE myself, and highly recommend it. I also wanted to second 40hz's recommendation of learning the language first, then learning the IDE. But, having said that, if you know Python well, I find Wing IDE a huge boon, especially for larger projects.
-dnm (November 04, 2008, 11:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll agree 100%. WingIDE is so far best IDE for Python developers I have been testing/using. Absolutely worth of every cent (and it's not even expensive!!).

Give it a test drive and see how it fits!

CWuestefeld:
WingIDE is so far best IDE for Python developers I have been testing/using. Absolutely worth of every cent (and it's not even expensive!!).
-simakuutio (November 06, 2008, 05:18 AM)
--- End quote ---
According to their feature matrix, the Personal edition doesn't include such features as "Class browser" and "Code folding", which from my investigations appears to be a baseline feature of any Python IDE. Based on this, I get the impression that it's a toy until you get to the Professional edition, which at $179 isn't cheap.

fractophil:
Eric is a very good IDE with many features and can be installed on Windows easily, although there are not many instructions on how to do so.

To install it on an Windows, download and run the Windows installer for PyQt from http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/software/pyqt/download that matches your Python installation.

Leave all options checked when installing.  This will install Qt, QScintilla, and everything else needed to run Eric.

Then, download Eric, unpack it to where you want, and run install.py.  This will install Eric.

To run Eric, simply run eric4.bat

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version