ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best Python IDE

<< < (2/12) > >>

tinjaw:
It depends on how much coding experience you have. If you have already worked with IDEs and/or know another object oriented language already, then you can already appreciate the advantages of using an IDE to do things like take advantage of class outlines and templates. However, if you are new to both, then I suggest following 40hz's advice and just worry about learning the language using something like notepad++. In the case of python, you are also lucky to have something inbetween, IPython. For learning about IPython, I can't stress enough that you should watch the videos on ShowMeDo before you even install it.

I have been coding Python for a couple of years now and I use a IPython and Pydev Extensions at the same time. They work very well together.

f0dder:
I agree with tinjaw. If you already have some IDE experience, you'll definitely want to find an IDE for your new language... integreted help / API reference and visual debugging makes dealing with a new language a lot easier.

CWuestefeld:
A couple of you noted pydev, so I looked a little deeper there. It bothered me a little that it's an extension to Eclipse. That makes it kinda heavy-weight, and it seems to be a second-class citizen there; the environment certainly isn't designed for the peculiarities of python.

On the other hand, I tried to download Eric, and it turns out that (as far as I can tell) you just can't get it for Windows without building parts of it yourself. It needs Qt (which is pretty darned big), but more significantly, it also needs QScintilla2. I was completely unable to find a Windows-built download of this.

Edvard:
SciTe.
http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
Works very well for the small amount of Python I do. Code highlighting, error indicators, code completion hints, call tips, etc.

If you want to get into GUI stuff with python, I recommend BoaConstructor.
http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/
Uses WxWidgets for building GUI's and a casual trip through the help file 'Getting Started' section will get you on your way.
It's a bit of a task to get it installed on Windows, but it does work.

tinjaw:
A couple of you noted pydev, so I looked a little deeper there. It bothered me a little that it's an extension to Eclipse. That makes it kinda heavy-weight, and it seems to be a second-class citizen there; the environment certainly isn't designed for the peculiarities of python.
-CWuestefeld (October 27, 2008, 05:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Although pydev is a plugin to Eclipse, it does work very well. BTW, if you didn't realize, there are two parts to pydev - the opensource basics and the commercial extensions. I am on my second year of subscription to the commercial extensions and a happy camper.

Yes, it is a bit heavy-weight, but that is because Eclipse is meant as a general purpose tool out-of-the-box. You could limit what is loads to thin things down. I, however, use it because I use Ecplise as my main development tool for other stuff as well. So I get the added benefit of it being the same tool for my Java developments as well as other things.

Pydev is also under active development, as has been since day one. It was also recently brought under a corporate umbrella which will directly fund its further development under the same developer, Fabio.

There still isn't *any* good tools for GUI development under Python. I beg my contacts at Borland come CodeGear come Embarcardero for Delphi for Python. With it I couLD RULE THE WORLD!!!  >:D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version