ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Needed ... MD5 checksum utility

(1/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Ideally what I need is a utility that will take two folders and recursively calculate MD5 checksums (or similar) on both folders and compare them to check that two folders and their contents are identical.

Whn I upgraded my hard discs I copied all the partitions from my old discs using Partition Magic in DOS mode.

This seems to have worked fine but before I delete the old partitions I want to ensure that they are bit perfect.

What I need is:

Input HD/File/Folder1 HD/File/Folder 2
Compare on a file by file basis

Output:
files in one location and not in the other
compare files where they both appear and display warnings for files with different MD5 values

I have run CHKDSK on all my drives and there don't seem to be disc issues - but I am not sure if Partition Magic takes the manufacturers bad sector file into account when copying partition contents, and there doesn't seem to be any way in Windows to compare binary files easily (on a rang of files).

mouser:
more than what you are asking for but
the folder comparison tools will do this stuff and more of course.
beyond compare is my choice.
winmerge is free and should do it too.

Carol Haynes:
Thanks, I'm having a look at Beyond compare. It has a 30 day trial which is useful.

I also found http://www.fastsum.com/ which has a useful utility for this sort of thing. It will go through whole trees and produce MD5 values for individual files / folders - storing them in the folder. Then you can just run the utility and it will calculate and compare the MD5 for the current file and last MD5 calculation.

This is idea for future copying (since the MD5 values will be copied too) but not that easy at the mo to use.

Anyone got any idea how to copy all *.md5 files recursively from one tree to an identical tree on another disc ??

mouser:
note beyond compare is in our discount this month, and we are giving away some copies in the drawing.
also see our review of such tools: https://www.donationcoder.com/Reviews/Archive/CompareTools/index.html

it's one of my favorite programs.

Carol Haynes:
Yes, I have spotted the discount ... thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version