ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Open Containing Folder

(1/9) > >>

SleepingWolf:
I have a useful context-menu extension created (with instructions from the web) via a registry key; it says "Open Containing Folder" so that right-clicking a file (or shortcut) and selecting that menu item opens explorer at that folder in the directory structure.

I have often wondered if it would be possible to get similar functionality for program windows - right clicking on the title bar will show an extra menu item: "Locate program" that would open explorer at the containing folder.

Also, by extension, other processes could be listed in a listbox (or better) GUI item and selected to open explorer there (or other file manager of course). I would love to try Skrommelling it (in Autohotkey) but I feel it would almost certainly be beyond me so feel it best to throw the idea out there to your tender mercies!

mouser:
this is one of those great simple ideas.   :up:

Deozaan:
I don't want to sound like a stick in the mud, but if you're right clicking a file (with the exception of a shortcut) wouldn't you already be exploring that directory?

mouser:
what he means is, let's say you have a program running on your screen, like notepad or maybe some program started at windows boot time.  so now he's saying it would be nice to have an easy way to jump to that program's directory on disk.

i guess there are process explorers that will do this -- just seems like one of those ideas that should be built into windows so that you could click on a window of a running program somewhere and say "take me to this program's home directory".

SleepingWolf:
You're both right. The existing Context-Menu item is most useful for shortcuts.

Process explorers (prcView mainly here)  generally give you option to copy path to clipboard ---> perhaps a clip-board monitor could open copied paths automatically.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version