Thanks everyone for their comments!
I imagine that Axem could become very popular to package a set of separate AHK scripts together for distribution and for a more user friendly first user experience when using AHK.
Interesting idea, I have to think on that.
(1) I think that the icons of the AHK scripts should be shown to the left side of the Axem window to help with visual distinction.
Most scripts don't have icons set in their scripts but are added using the Ahk2exe utility that ships with AHK. You don't have to use resource editor, It's also possible to specify it using the following AHK code:
Menu, tray, Icon [, FileName, IconNumber, 1]:
Got to look at that, maybe some options for this without slowing down the scanning too much.
(2) Provide a way to change the icon of each AHK script, including the icon it shows for it's tray icon.
See ahk2exe in the autohotkey installation folder it's already possible, not related to Axem.
Scan each ahk file and look for a comment near the top of the file of the form:
; Synopsis: This line will be shown in the Axem list next to a file's name if found
(3) I have Axem running and I second the motion to show the comments near the top of an AHK file if available.
Looking into adding something to distinguish the items better based on content.
(4) Could we change the background color?
I'd suggest to change your windows theme colors instead, if I set a specific color or skin then it will look out of place on other people's machines, and adding the options would make the app too cluttered. But I can add in a line that checks for a custom include so you can maybe add this to your install using AHK
(5) Place the "Rescan", "Change Folder", and "Hide" buttons at the top of the Axem window as a toolbar strip since these are higher level commands.
Yes the listing / presentation can be much improved it's very much a work in progress