topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:34 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Suggestions for switching from Vista (64-bit) to XP (32-bit)?  (Read 6154 times)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi all.

Six months or so ago, I bought a computer that had Vista x64 installed. Though I like the computer, I am rapidly approaching my limit with software having problems or not running at all. I have an unused copy of XP from a computer I have discarded. What would be the easiest way of installing XP with all the patches and updates?

Thanks for your recs.

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Suggestions for switching from Vista (64-bit) to XP (32-bit)?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 11:03 PM »
You may find a number of useful tips in this article by Ed Bott
I'll have what she's having

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 12:17 AM »
If possible, download all patches and updates from every piece of software you would use in your XP machine. Then find out exactly which hardware is in your system (for example, harddisk, video, sound, wifi etc.) and download the latest (but foremost greatest) XP drivers for your equipment.

Download now a tool called: nLite
With this software you create a new installation cd, containing all the updates, patches and drivers you have downloaded. The wizard from nLite does a very good job of guiding you through the necessary steps.

As a result you have created a fine-tuned installation cd that is ideal for your laptop. You should also automatize the installation process (again, nLite's wizard will guide you) so you can do an unsupervised re-installation whenever you deem it necessary. Shaves easily 10 to 15 minutes of a re-installation.

You could even create an installation DVD that includes all installation/setup files from every piece of software you find essential. That way you have all important software in one place and again saves you a lot of time recreating your ideal Windows environment using a fresh Windows installation.

For the true tweak-animals amongst us, find a freeware version from the tool: xq-setup
Not only can you make every tweak known to man/woman, this software can also store all these tweaks in a file. If this file is also stored on your installation DVD, you have in a flash your super tweaked system back as well.

As long as your hardware will be useful to you, that disk will prove a lifesaver and a serious alternative for imaging software, because a total re-installation will take some two hours at most. Why spend money on such software when a total re-installation only takes such a (relativity) short time.

The disadvantage from this method is that it will take quite some time to create such a DVD.

However, I did this once for an elderly client of mine (when I was doing PC repairs). That client was so happy with that DVD, it didn't take long for the word of mouth to spread, increasing my client base in a major way (he had a big family ;-))

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 12:50 AM »
For the true tweak-animals amongst us, find a freeware version from the tool: xq-setup

Last freeware version: X-Setup  ;)

However, I think the imaging software alternative (making an image of the drive with the fresh, updated and tuned Windows XP) is a better solution
I'll have what she's having

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 11:54 AM »
@city_zen:
Excellent find! (the site that still has the last freeware version, I mean).

Thanks for that one  :Thmbsup: