topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What application is stealing my keystrokes?  (Read 7975 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What application is stealing my keystrokes?
« on: November 04, 2008, 01:23 PM »
I'm not sure there is a program to do this, but if it exists, you folks will know about it.

I am running eclipse and some of the shortcut keys aren't working. I think it is because some other program I am running is intercepting the keystrokes for itself and not passing them on.

I am 99.99% certain that you cannot determine what application has a hold on a particular shortcut, but it should be able to determine what applications got their hooks into the OS to intercept keystrokes and it should be able to determine in what order they are processing them.

Does anybody know of an application that lists the applications, hopefully in order, that are grabbing keystrokes.

For example, I am running Direct Access and FARR. Both are interecepting keystrokes before they go to eclipse. That is why I can hit Pause/Break while in eclipse and have FARR come up or ``email and have Direct Access replace ``email with my email address.

If such a utility exists, it would be the Bee's knees. If not, then I will head over to our very own developer forum and start hacking away at the Win32API. :-(

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What application is stealing my keystrokes?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 01:35 PM »
Crap! I was reading a forum yesterday that discussed about three options to allow you to do this (though the consensus was that it isn't possible to use an app to reveal third party shortcuts reliably). Unfortunately, it was completely unrelated to my problem and I didn't bookmark or "note" the site! Let me try to retrace my footprints and see if I can dredge it up.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 05:46 PM »
Can't you run Process Monitor, hit the shortcut combination that's being stolen and see where it leads?

You might need to filter a lot of crap out of Process Monitor's output.

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 09:26 PM »
Does anybody know of an application that lists the applications, hopefully in order, that are grabbing keystrokes.

Not exactly what you need, but Keyboard Shortcuts Assistant may be helpful in catching out the offending app

I'll have what she's having

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 01:27 PM »
Sorry, Tinjaw, I've failed miserably -  I can't retrace my steps to get back to that fourm  :(