ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Writing to two folders simultaneously. Possible? Tired of running synch progs

(1/7) > >>

urlwolf:
I think I've seen someone here showing a program that lets one write to two folders simultaneously. I just cannot find it. Is this possible? Tired of running synch progs, like SFFS.

The idea would be to have an external HD plugged into my home comp. Then, everything I write to the internal HD on my home computer will get instantly mirrored to the external HD.

I jump into the train, and take my external HD with me. At work, I plug it in and do a sync (with say beyondCompare). Then, every file I change in the office computer gets mirrored to the external HD as well. when back home I run sync again.

But damn! This doesn't save much time. I still have to run two synch sessions! It's so damn hard to keep to computers completely parallel, it's comical.

I have spent hours undoing stupid things I did with SFFS before; having proper backups and syncs is actually a lot of work.

The other alternative is to have everything running on the external HD only. And of course backup the hell out of it. That would save 2 syncs a day.

Why on earth is this so difficult? I was happier when I had only one laptop. :)

So actually, what I'm asking here (simultaneously writing to internal and external HD as if they were in RAID 2) doesn't spare me the syncs, so there's not much of a point.
Any ideas? 

Thanks!

40hz:
If you actually need to mirror in real-time as opposed to just sync your files, your best bet would probably be Techsoft's MirrorFolder.

Link: http://www.techsoftpl.com/backup/index.php

MirrorFolder is a real-time mirroring and synchronization software to backup files from your local computer drive to another local/removable/network drive.

You can setup mirrors for your important folders, or even an entire drive, to another local/removable/network drive in either automatic synchronization or real-time mirroring mode. Once you setup mirror(s) for a folder, mirroring/synchronization will be done silently in the background without requiring any further effort or attention from you. You may also optionally archive older versions of mirror files inside a series of zip files in a third location periodically.

Some common uses of MirrorFolder are:

* Mirroring on local hard disk - MirrorFolder is ideal for real-time mirroring on a separate local hard disk. In this mode, files in the mirror folder will remain identical with their source at any point of time. In case the source disk fails, you will have all of your files on the mirror folder/disk for immediate use. You may also use auto-synchronization mode of mirroring on local hard disk and choose to move older versions of files in the mirror folder to recycle bin duringsynchronization.

* Backup on removable drive - MirrorFolder can be used for automatic backup of your important working folders on removable drive like USB flash drive, removable hard disk, etc., preferably in automatic synchronization mode. You may also enable archive option to store older versions of files in a series of ZIP files into a third location.

* Synchronization between laptop and desktop computers - You can use MirrorFolder to synchronize files between your laptop and desktop computers using bi-directional automatic synchronization mode.

* Synchronization between home and office computers through a USB flash drive - You can use MirrorFolder to synchronize important folders between your home and office computers using bi-directional automatic synchronization mode through a USB flash drive.

--- End quote ---

MirrorFolder will set you back $39, but you get full use of the program for 30 days before you need to buy a license.
That should be plenty of time for you to decide if it's worth it. :)

You also might consider just keeping your files on a USB drive and working off of that. If you go this route, be sure to backup regularly, and also use some form of encryption if your files are sensitive. Also try to stick to quality brands and avoid the 'no-names.' Not all USB drives are created equally.

aphoria:
What about using Live Mesh?

www.mesh.com

Seriously, check Live Mesh out. No manual syncing involved. No transporting an external HD back and forth. Install the client on one machine, setup one or more folders to sync, setup the client on the other machine, connect to the synced folders and you are done. Changes to files in one place are nearly instantly updated on the other computer.

city_zen:
Any ideas?
-urlwolf (October 23, 2008, 12:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

This may be a different approach, but it'd achieve the same thing: use Microsoft Office Live Groove or one of its free clones (I'd recommend Collaber)

Actually, if all you want is synchronizing your 2 PCs you may even be able to use Office Live Groove for free. I'm not sure if this would be acceptable under Microsoft's License, though, so you'd have to check it out. Otherwise, it's $ 79 for the first year. As I said, Collaber is free.

To get all your docs synchronized you'll have to leave both PCs on (and online, of course). Synchronization would be automatic and instantaneous. Besides, each PC would serve as a backup of the other. Also, notice that all the information would remain in your PCs, NOT in Microsoft's servers, so you'd be able to work on your docs even when you're offline (they'd just not get synchronized with the other PC until you get back online).

I think it may suit you.

VideoInPicture:
How about simply using one of the online storage websites like https://www.getdropbox.com/

You can download their client that sits on your computer and it creates a special folder that gets synchronized across all the computers where you are running the DropBox client. Synchronization happens in real time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version