ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me with MS Word styles

<< < (13/14) > >>

superboyac:
Wow, I am really enjoying using styles in Word.  This is good stuff.  This is the way to do it.  The efficiency is very tangible.  A lot of the setup is a pain in the ass and can definitely be improved as far as UI goes.  But the functionality is right on.

steeladept:
Been a while since I read this I see....

I just have 2 things to say since the mid-May comments.  1) I agree that Word is way more powerful than most people give it credit for and that the biggest problem is few people truly know how to use it properly.  I use it extensively (along with Excel) working in a Printshop and find it incredibly capable, yet while reading this and following links (Primarily from kfitting) I find I still have a lot to learn!  Thank you for bringing this up.

2) In reference to the InDesign software - I do not know a lot about it, even though I use it a fair amount.  What I can tell you about the differences is this:  Word is for creating documents, whereas InDesign is for Formatting documents.  Sure you can do both jobs in both programs, but the focus is not the same.  In Word, you create a document and then format it with several common formatting features.  With InDesign, you more often will import a document then format what you import (though you can compose it and format on the fly).  To compare the two is like comparing Word to Publisher - they do different things differently but properly used should produce something generally similar.  InDesign is Adobe's full fledged DTP software, not unlike Microsoft's Publisher or QuarkXpress (though most professionals I know would agree that InDesign is much more powerful and useful than Publisher and more difficult to use than Quark).  Personally, I suggest sticking with Word unless/until you absolutely MUST learn InDesign.

superboyac:
I'm definitely going to learn Indesign soon.  not for work, but for personal stuff.  I am anticipating doing several projects that involve either books, articles, or pamphlets.  And i want tight control on how everything is presented graphically.  So I'm going to use Indesign for that.

steeladept:
I'm definitely going to learn Indesign soon.  not for work, but for personal stuff.  I am anticipating doing several projects that involve either books, articles, or pamphlets.  And i want tight control on how everything is presented graphically.  So I'm going to use Indesign for that.
-superboyac (June 14, 2010, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

I would suggest it for Pamphlets, but not books from what I know (again that isn't much yet though - I am fighting learning it as it is difficult and time consuming.  A bad mix when you are the only person in the department).  Articles, well it would depend on the size and complexity there.  I can say that it is a very common requirement if you are sending it to a publishing house, but for personal use, eh.

Maybe I will actually be allowed to take a class sometime and then I may change my mind.  But for now, it is a tool I know very little about and have a difficult time using.

superboyac:
Why not books?  What is the standard for publishing books?  I'm not talking about just text books.  I'm talking about books with lots of graphics everywhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version