topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: FARR alias/plugin to quickly edit startup items  (Read 7869 times)

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: FARR alias/plugin to quickly edit startup items
« on: October 22, 2008, 01:56 PM »
i sometimes have programs that i add or remove from my windows startup quite often. using msconfig especially to _add_ a program to start with windows can be immensely tedious. especially when you'd like to use different startup methods (generally to change the order of startup).

my primary reason for wanting this is, when i first boot up my computer somehow my wireless networking card drivers move around, ending up being loaded after everything else has loaded. everything that has loaded before my wireless card drivers generate annoying connection/update errors, causing me to have to go through a sea of clicking before i'm able to finally use my computer after booting.

naturally, i have to not only add the new startup entry to a different startup method (and i forget which one i use as well), but i also have to remove the old one. using FARR for this and many other new utilities i get would make me so much happier.

what do you guys think? good idea? difficult to do or easy? i'd hope it'd be a quick thing, but i really don't know much about these things.
I'm the guy you yell at when your DSL goes down...

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: FARR alias/plugin to quickly edit startup items
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 08:16 PM »
this has been an oft-requested program but imo there are ample programs out there that does a decent job of this. here are some related threads.

https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=13925.0
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=14856.0

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 11:54 AM »
Sorry for posting something already requested. I promise I did search but apparently my search skillz quite suck lol.

Thanks for the links, I will check them out.
I'm the guy you yell at when your DSL goes down...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 05:48 PM »
You know it would be really cool if the MRU plugin could be asked to list startup programs:
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=13899.0

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 03:23 AM »
I don't know. Listing startup programs would be one thing, but adding, reordering, deleting and changing the startup method (whatever that is) of these startup programs would be a new concept to the MRU plugin. That rather sounds like a new plugin to me.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 03:34 AM »
yeah i wasnt suggesting to add such features -- i agree with lanux's statement that there are a bunch of good startup managers, and trying to do all that functionality in a FARR plugin seems a real waste.

but i can see just wanting to list items that are run at startup (these items come from various places -- start menu and registry), and being able to re-launch them from FARR.  i'm not sure, just an idea.  maybe it wouldnt be so useful after all..

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 01:03 PM »
Personally I use Chameleon to manage my startup apps, but I don't know if it takes commandline input. If it does, or if another startup manager does, then at least you could make a FARR alias to switch between different startup groups.

But for the initial request, sounds like a startup manager is the most appropriate tool.