ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

AJC Active Backup ---- at Bits du Jour

<< < (2/3) > >>

mwb1100:
And a free (but less functional) alternative is to use AJC Soft's "Revision Archive":

- http://www.ajcsoft.com/AJCRvArc.php

This is the application that AJC Active Backup uses to store file revisions.  If you're willing to manually manage your revisions, you can use Revision Archive without the "Active Backup" application.  At this point it's no longer an automated backup solution, so it won't be too much help against accidents unless you're really dilligent. But just being able to keep and manage old revisions of file can be valuable. Software developers and others use revision control systems like CVS, Subversion or Perforce (which aren't automatic) for exactly this reason.  AJC Revision Archive doesn't have all the capabilities of those full-featured revision control software pacakges (so it probably wouldn't work for software developement), but it's much simpler and should work well for someone who just wants to keep old revisions of documents around and accessible, but out of the way.

A lot of people manage older revisions of documents using a folder or file name convetion that includes dates or revision numbers.  The free Revision Archive would you let you do away with that hassle.

sajman99:
Play it again, Sam. :D AJC Active Backup is scheduled at BDJ on 10-25-10.

http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/ajc-active-backup/

tomos:

anyone using it?
Pros, cons?

Armando:
Hi Tom,
Don't you already use FileHamster ?

Armando:
I've always been interested in trying it out. I read what others are saying here. Tranglos, George and a few others seem to be satisfied.

"Cons" :
- Proprietary format for compressions
- There's this thing about AJC being ported to .NET in a relatively near future... But I guess one could just keep using version 1.9 for the next year(s) if it's alreadycompatible with Win7.
- Feature list isn't as interesting as FileHamster's

Pros :
- Light on resources
- reliable (according to users, not according to me)
- Feature list might not be as interesting  as FileHamster's but still more sophisticated than alternatives like AutoVer (free though...)

I use AutoVer at the moment and it does a good jobs. Options are limited though (e.g. can't rename a version... So you need to keep some separate notes if a version has some special data that could eventually be useful), and backups are uncompressed (well, I do use NTFS compression... But that doesn't really count  ;)) and full.

Will think about it some more tomorrow. I've already spent 20 something dollars on oops the other week (gave it to my brother for his accountant files, as I won't be using it).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version