ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

keep xp, put vista on 2nd partition on a raid 0 drive - will i regret it?

<< < (3/4) > >>

nudone:
ah, thanks for that then guys. if the mbr is definitely going to be the only issue then i'll go ahead and stick vista on.

and Carol's recovery console tip is something i'd never have considered so i'll do that too.

(if you don't hear from me again you know it all went wrong and i've thrown the pc in a skip.)

nudone:
just thought i'd do a quick reply for anyone else considering something similar to the "vista on a partion of a raid 0 drive" thing.

first two attempts didn't quite work. may have just been vista updates that ruined everything as things appeared to work for the first couple of boots.

after making a little effort to see what others had to say online, i've found this to work (for my setup)...

main drive is:

raid 0
3 partitions
1st partition (primary) = XP
2nd partition (primary) = Vista
3rd partition = data

using GAG boot loader (from a floppy for the moment) to select which partition to boot and hide the other primary partition (i have a few other drives in the machine so hiding the non required primary helps keep my drive letters in the right order).

i also loaded in the latest nforce raid drivers during the vista install - which i didn't do the first couple of times when things didn't quite work.

i haven't gone through the vista updates yet so maybe things will just grind to a halt again after that.

original reading material that helped:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/vista-and-nforce4-sataraid-an-installation-guide-vt66299.html

http://www.multibooters.co.uk/managers.html

http://gag.sourceforge.net/

if i don't mentioning anything again then the updates were successful.

mouser:
just to mention that i've recently been considering the floppy GAG type approach and it seems like a good way to go to me. i like the idea of hiding partitions not selected, and having the bootup selector being in floppy rather than messing with boot loaders on the hd.

nudone:
well, the GAG boot floppy certainly keeps things nice and simple. but...

not sure if i've configured the floppy correctly but once the operating system is selected, it doesn't actually continue to boot - i have to reboot (with the floppy then removed) for the complete boot process to work.

i was expecting things to work as i've seen with other boot loaders, i.e. you select the operating system to boot and the boot process continues after that - without having to restart the machine.

i know i've not enabled 'drive swap' or something on the GAG floppy so maybe it's just that.

nudone:
something i've noticed, that i hope the more technically minded of you may understand, is that vista is a lot quieter than xp - on my machine, at least.

i've two raptor drives in a raid 0 setup. xp is on the first partition of this setup and vista is on the 2nd partition (of the same setup).

when using xp, the drives sound not unlike the handheld drilling machines that workmen use to dig holes in the road.

when using vista the drives sound almost silent.

any idea as to why?

xp has been like this from day one so i just thought it was normal for these raptor drives to make a horrible noise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version