ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

which Linux version for my laptop

<< < (2/7) > >>

Davidtheo:
what are the specs on your notebook?-Darwin (October 22, 2008, 08:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Darwin the laptop is about 2 years old.
Toshiba 1.73 GHz with 1 GIG ram and DVD drive

Currently running XP with SP3 but it is getting very slow and I what a change. I was using Fedora at Uni for three years. Some student tried to install Fedora on their laptops, but had all kinds of trouble so I thought I'll ask which is better before I tried, besides I can't use the versions my friends are using here because they use the Chinese version and I need the English version as I can't read Chinese yet. :D

Davidtheo:
From personal experience I can recommend the new ubuntu version 8.10 (codename intrepid ibex). It works very well on my new thinkpad. But first ask your friends who use linux which distribution they use and choose the same. They will be the ones helping you, and it is easier to help on familiar ground.

As for instant messaging with MSN, there is a multiprotocol (multiplatform too!) instant messaging client "pidgin". It lets me chat with my one friend in Thailand that is still using MSN. However, I doubt things like videochat will work.
-housetier (October 22, 2008, 03:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks I'll try "pidgin", Any idea of the best place to download it from and another linux programs?  I will be needing a MP3 too :D

housetier:
Always go with the package manager of your distribution!

In case of ubuntu there is one mighty package manager named "apt" which has several frontends. Personally, I prefer "aptitude"; "synaptic" is quite sophisticated (System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager), simpler is Applications > Add/Remove

Debian has the same tools. Fedora has "yum", Suse Yast and Yast2 as frontends for their package manager rpm.

All these frontends let you search and install programs and anything those program need (they call it dependencies).

Now, Linux and multimedia sometimes work flawlessly and sometimes just barely. I can't decide between amarok, mpd, or rhythmbox for my MP3 playing. On the other hand, I decided on mplayer for watching any kind of multimedia file because it is the best.

Edvard:
Darwin - I have had problems from the get-go with Xubuntu 8.04 running sluggishly...

I popped in the latest 8.10 beta and it seems to be a little snappier.
housetier: by definition of beta and newbie, I wouldn't say it's a good idea to recommend a beta version to a newbie :)
Still, I also recommend ubuntu, but 8.04 instead :)

[edit] ok, 8.10 comes out of beta in 8 days. I guess that's not too bad, then. [/edit]
-jgpaiva
--- End quote ---

Yes, I've been tracking the daily builds off and on and I can tell you the beta is pretty solid. Just keep regular updates and you'll be fine.

Thanks I'll try "pidgin", Any idea of the best place to download it from and another linux programs?  I will be needing a MP3 too  :D -Davidtheo
--- End quote ---

David, everything you need to begin with you will be able to install with the Synaptic package manager, as housetier mentioned.
See here for a good overview on what Synaptic can do for you: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto

With Ubuntu, most software is available from a central repository that is accessed by Synaptic, no searching around for software and associated libraries. It only gets difficult when you attempt to install software from off-repository sources or do installs from source code.

Pidgin should be installed by default, and to get mp3's working just install the package called "Ubuntu-restricted-extras"

Reply back here if you have any further questions, we have quite a few Linux zealots fanboys um... enthusiasts who will be able to help you get started.
Also get acquainted with the Ubuntu Forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/
Any question you may have will probably have already been answered there, more than once. It's a big place.

Good luck and Godspeed...

Darwin:
@Houstier - Hmmm... I've yet to actuatlly *try* Xubuntu (because of the aforementioned hiccough during installation  :o) Is Xubuntu 8.10 running more snappily or is it the regular Ubuntu version?

@David - your machine should be fine with a regular Linux distro...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version