ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

which Linux version for my laptop

(1/7) > >>

Davidtheo:
Hi

I am thinking about installing Linux on my laptop can anyone give me any ideas of which one I should instill. I have heard Ubuntu is good.  :D

Is there a version of MSN that will run on Linux or will I need to change my Messenger program too. (Hoping I do not but knowing I may have too)  :(

housetier:
From personal experience I can recommend the new ubuntu version 8.10 (codename intrepid ibex). It works very well on my new thinkpad. But first ask your friends who use linux which distribution they use and choose the same. They will be the ones helping you, and it is easier to help on familiar ground.

As for instant messaging with MSN, there is a multiprotocol (multiplatform too!) instant messaging client "pidgin". It lets me chat with my one friend in Thailand that is still using MSN. However, I doubt things like videochat will work.

mitzevo:
Ubuntu.. all linux newbies should start with Ubuntu.. no matter if it's for your pc, laptop, phone, etc.

jgpaiva:
housetier: by definition of beta and newbie, I wouldn't say it's a good idea to recommend a beta version to a newbie :)
Still, I also recommend ubuntu, but 8.04 instead :)

[edit] ok, 8.10 comes out of beta in 8 days. I guess that's not too bad, then. [/edit]

Darwin:
David - what are the specs on your notebook? I am running Ubuntu Hardy Heron (a.k.a. 8.04) on a PIII 600 notebook with 192MB RAM. It runs, albeit slowly. Not to go into long-winded details, but I had MEANT to install Xubuntu which is for lower spec, older machines. However, I had major problems with a dead stick of RAM that I initially thought were due to either a dead dvd-ROM drive or a bad burn of Xubuntu and thus kept trying different combos. When I finally got the RAM fixed, Ubuntu happened to be in the drive! If your machine is new-ish, this won't be an issue, but I thought I'd ask...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version