topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: BlueGriffon  (Read 6558 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
BlueGriffon
« on: October 24, 2008, 05:49 PM »
BlueGriffonTM

The next-generation Web Editor
based on the rendering engine of Firefox

If you are into creating web pages, and would like to gain influence on the development of a web editor, now is the time to say hello to BlueGriffon. It is totally new, the site was launched 30 Sept 2008, so there is very little to tell, yet.

BlueGriffon

In the beginning was Netscape Gold. Then Mozilla Composer. From the ashes of Netscape and the code of Mozilla Composer came Nvu. Nvu had a cousin, KompoZer. But all this tools now belong to History and are extinct or on path to extinction.

In the meantime, Mozilla brought Firefox to the masses and its rendering engine, Gecko, has the power to fuel a next-generation wysiwyg editor for the World Wide Web. This editor is BlueGriffon.

Stay tuned !

tableWithoutAttr4.pngBlueGriffon

http://www.bluegriffon.org/
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 05:59 PM by Curt »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BlueGriffon
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 05:51 PM »
Oooh, I like! Simple, familiar and based on Gecko.

*Downloads*

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 06:27 PM »
You can get almost as much out of one of the HTML Editors for forms like sampled here:
http://www.veign.com/tools/easy-html-editor/

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 06:36 PM »
It reminds me about Kompozer (ex. Nvu). Clone maybe?
I wonder does it produce similar messed code ;)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 09:00 PM »
[Veign]: You can get almost as much out of one of the HTML Editors for forms like sampled here: http://www.veign.com...ls/easy-html-editor/

Holy crap, Chris, that's damn handy. Thanks!

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 08:05 AM »
It reminds me about Kompozer (ex. Nvu). Clone maybe?
I wonder does it produce similar messed code ;)
-fenixproductions (October 24, 2008, 06:36 PM)

It's its successor, programmed by the same guys.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 09:40 AM »
2Lashiec
Nvu had a cousin, KompoZer. But all this tools now belong to History and are extinct or on path to extinction.
Do you understand it? I don't get it at all. It looks like few guys want to repeat the same things all over again, and again, and again. Each time saying about ashes and need for something new.

I understand people's creativity and need for changes but this one looks ridiculous. Let's start building new house and when it comes to roof, we decide that bricks are too old (or not cool enough now) and... build new one using concrete. After year (and roof starting once again)... let's build new one using glass and reinforced concrete.

I think that in 2009 they will start once again (maybe based on Opera ;)).

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 03:46 PM »
Sure it sounds like a frustrating process, but we're also dealing with the fluid world of web pages.
It doesn't surprise me that, in a world of almost-overnight changes to how people present content, an editor for it would be hard-pressed to stay relevant with a static application.
I haven't read the release notes or version history at all, but I imagine entire re-writes might be justified when certain methods suddenly become too inflexible to work with an ever-changing format.
Let's hope this new project will be built with that type of flexibility in mind from the beginning.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 04:01 PM »
Do you understand it? I don't get it at all. It looks like few guys want to repeat the same things all over again, and again, and again. Each time saying about ashes and need for something new.
-fenixproductions (October 27, 2008, 09:40 AM)

Somehow. Nvu never saw an update since it was released for God knows which reasons. KompoZer was just a mere fork to fix things, and it was never intended to replace Nvu as the primary development branch (lack of funding, developers, etc.).

I guess the fact that XUL advanced so much in the meantime made impossible to adapt Nvu to the new version and continue development from there, so that's why Daniel Glazman et al. decided to rewrite it from scratch, and also to take advantage from the new possibilities of Gecko. But this is just pure speculation on my part, as I ignore what stopped Nvu development nor the technical details behind the impossibility of adapting Nvu to work with the new tools.

Also, IIRC Glazman said that BlueGriffon (before it had a name at all) was intended to replace Composer in future releases of SeaMonkey, so perhaps it was less work to write the program from scratch and integrate it into SeaMonkey than trying to fit Nvu into SeaMonkey. I find funny that open source projects try to be transparent to the public, but in this case we don't really know anything about what happened.

I think that in 2009 they will start once again (maybe based on Opera ;)).

Yep, now that it seems Adobe dropped Presto in favour of WebKit, it could be a good choice :)