ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

HELP >.... Some sort of IRQ conflict (I think) ... anyone andy ideas?

<< < (4/5) > >>

mouser:
you could buy an ide card for cheap and get the control of the raid off the mother board; that should solve your problem IF the problem is related to anything like an irq conflict.

Carol Haynes:
It's probably due for a complete reinstall ...

Can't buy extra cards - no more slots  :-[

Innuendo:
Gads! No more slots? What have you got over there taking up all your slots?

Carol Haynes:
Actually not quite true - I have two PCI slots left but no space in my box to fill them as I have other addons that fill up the available slot exits.

I have 5 PCI slots with (1) sound card, (2) 1394/Firewire interface, (3) Network interface

There are also a daughter board for the sound card (which doesn't use a PCI slot but does need an external PCI 'exit' hole, my motherboard USB has two sets of ports (plus CPU status LEDs) which need somewhere to exit to the outside world and are designed to use a PCI style 'exit' hole.

Short of buying a bigger box with more holes, or drilling the case to make extra holes (neither of which appeal) my box is full to capacity. The box also has 4 hard drives, three fans, and 2 CD/DVD type drives. I have one 5.25" slot left so I suppose there may be some potential to poke out the USB ports there (and actually would be quite useful as they would then be front mounted). I might consider that - but I am not sure the cables are long enough ...

Innuendo:
Gads, that's a lot of stuff...you're almost as bad as me. I keep my boxes full all the time, too, but I have never run into anybody who has even half as bad as me.

I'm currently running 3 hard drives totalling ~900 GB of space, a 3.5" floppy drive I refuse to get rid of, and no less than 3 CD/DVD type devices. I'd surely add more, but my drive bays are all full. And yes, I need every bit of storage space and all three optical drives...and my floppy drive.

You may want to consider bringing some of those ports around to the front of your case. Companies sell really nifty break-out type boxes these days that will match your case color & fit in a 3.5" or 5.25" bay that could bring not only those USB ports to the front of your case, but also firewire & sound card connections for headphones, microphone, and line-in. Some even incorporate fan controllers and tempurature read-outs.

Buying one of these might give you some free PCI slots to work with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version