ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Things your kids will never know - old school tech!

<< < (29/35) > >>

CleverCat:
My Dad's teacher (circa 1930's) wouldn't even allow counting using your fingers! I think mental arithmetic is a thing of the past...

J-Mac:
My Dad's teacher (circa 1930's) wouldn't even allow counting using your fingers! I think mental arithmetic is a thing of the past...
-CleverCat (November 10, 2008, 01:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

With calculators, I guess it is...

...until you find yourself in a situation where some quick mental calculations are desperately needed, as no calculator nor computer is available. I actually did come across similar situations in field construction management, though at the time mobile devices were just plain old cell phones.  :)

Jim

CleverCat:
It's good for the brain to 'exercise' it now and again... ;D

Darwin:
-CleverCat (November 10, 2008, 01:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

My teachers in the 1970's and 1980's wouldn't allow this either... I wasn't allowed to have a calculator until high school.

cranioscopical:

Didn't have a four-banger until I was working for a living... I'd hate to tell you what that thing cost.

My daughter's name is Giselle, so she was intrigued to see 3773519 when the rudimentary LED display was inverted. I guess she'd have been about 8 years old.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version