ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Things your kids will never know - old school tech!

<< < (27/35) > >>

Darwin:
The art of taking notes in class...

Students today seem to expect everything as a handout or that lecture notes will be available via something like Blackboard or WebCT.

app103:
My father was remembering back to when I was a kid and mentioned that one of the things he enjoyed most, was watching me from the window at dusk, as I skated up and down our block wearing a pair of Union skates, with the steel wheels.

Why?

Because the bits of flint in the cement of the sidewalk would cause sparks, and as it got dark you could see the sparks as I flew past the house.  :D

Things your kids will never know - old school tech!

These skates were tough, and unless you skated on dirt or grass instead of the sidewalk, left them out in the rain, or lost a skate, it wasn't likely that you would ever need more than 1 pair over the course of your childhood. (I managed to wear out a pair a year, though, with the amount of skating I did)

They were completely adjustable (with a key)...one size fits all...and fit over your shoes. With how popular they were, it was probably the reason why kids sneakers all had that rubber toe back in those days.

Around 1980 they started disappearing, as well as the old style rubber toed sneakers, when Rollerblades came along.

My daughter has never actually seen a pair of these skates, other than in pictures, and it was rather tough finding a good pic of them online. I have often wished as she was growing up, that they never went out of style, as it would have been a lot cheaper for me not to have to buy her a new pair of skates every time her feet grew.

J-Mac:
I think I realized that I had gotten old when I saw that no one else I know is familiar with:

* Slide rules
* Morse code
* Phonetic Alphabet
* How to extract square roots (without a calculator)
I think I had more...

...but I forget what they were!   :o   :D

Jim

Darwin:
Does once having learned, but long since forgotten, how to extract square and cube roots without a calculator count? If so, I guess I'm old, too  :(

Grorgy:
Don't worry Darwin, I wouldn't mind betting that most 'kids' who are older than you either didn't learn it when it was taught or have forgotten the experience entirely (saves your sanity, post traumatic stress and all that), or are deranged physicists in a dark room somewhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version