ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Things your kids will never know - old school tech!

<< < (20/35) > >>

Shades:
It is a shame I didn't made a picture from the 'update' I made in my Commodore 64 (many, many moons ago) although the lack of access to a photo-camera at that time could have contributed to that sad fact. Anyway, involved were three customized ROM's, a special designed circuit board, a lot(!!) of wires, 18 external switches to select the software inside the ROM's and a cooling fan...any combination you could make with these switches resulted in a new software goodie to play with.

That C64 really had everything you could wish for at that time...SPEEDDOS, DOLPHINDOS and even it's own graphical user interface (very similar in look and feel to the Commodore Amiga's Workbench) completely controllable with a mouse.

With the money I made selling that C64 I was able to by my first (3rd hand) Amiga 1000.  :-* Man, happy days that were.  :)

Later on, I repeated that feat somewhat by building an Amiga 1200 into a high tower PC case. Ah well, what can I say...the thrill was gone. Not for the Amiga (never!!!), but the custom building.

Now I just build my own PC's. 

Davidtheo:
Does anyone remember the brick phone. I remember my first mobile phone / car phone it was bigger then a brick and just as heavy.

SKesselman:
 ;D Yeah, my dad had one of those, in his days of women, wine and song. What was the actual year those things came out, I wonder?

Darwin:
I remember being in university and coming home for the summer to find that three guys I had graduated from high school with had gone fishing the previous summer (1989 or 1990). When they came back they each bought an IROC (Chevy Camaro) and had cell phones installed. The extravagance was shocking to a kid living on about $7000 a year! Anyway, the cell phones were huge and cost an obscene amount of money to operate. Still can't get over the waste of it all. Of course, I am not by any stretch immune to wasting money... Witness my software addiction  :o

zridling:
It's also pretty fascinating to watch movies from throughout the 1960s and see the gadgets they had then. Especially the first:

* Copy machines

* Answering machines

* Breast implants; the Pill

* LEDs

* Satellites

* Easy-Bake ovens!

* Sindy! (Sindy was the British Barbie, only with better thighs and a better boyfriend Paul -- a Beatle!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version