ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Things your kids will never know - old school tech!

<< < (17/35) > >>

Darwin:
I think the valves he refers to ARE tubes...er, WERE tubes. I had a Radio with tubes in it when I was a kid - my grandfather gave it to me and I restored the case and got it working. Size of a (big) microwave oven. Very warm sound, though. Anyway, transistors replaced tubes in radios, allowing for true portability - late '50s, early '60's (I think), thus, "transistor radio".

zridling:
Yea, those were the days when you could repair a TV rather than have to throw it away.

CWuestefeld:
Yea, those were the days when you could repair a TV rather than have to throw it away.
-zridling (October 29, 2008, 04:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
If you remember those days, you most remember the joys of adjusting the horizontal hold and vertical hold.

And I remember our channel selector knob was broken, so we kept a pair of pliers on top of the TV so that you could turn the turret switch inside it.

Darwin:
I can't believe how quickly I've forgotten about horizontal and vertical hold! Of course, I guess it has been at least 20 years... but still. I actually remember life before cable TV... and on a b+w TV at that. I know, I know, I'm in good company here!

40hz:
Don't forget outdoor TV aerials - some of which were motorized and could be rotated for better reception. The suburban skyline looked very different back then with all those weird antenna shapes up on every rooftop.

Also don't forget those Civil Defense air raid siren tests that serenaded us at noon every Saturday right up until the early 70s.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version