ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Things your kids will never know - old school tech!

<< < (14/35) > >>

40hz:
Ugh, I can't stand longhand writing style. Might be fast to write in, but it's darn hard to read sometimes... one would suppose I'm good at reading it since I work at post.dk, manually typing in the receiver for letters the OCR system can't handle. But it's more a matter of pattern recognition than actually reading the darn crud :)
-f0dder (October 26, 2008, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think one of the reasons you can call it "darn crud" is because people now write so seldomly that their penmanship suffers from the lack of practice. There was a time not so very long ago when being able to write "in a fair hand" was considered a necessary accomplishment for anyone who professed to have an education.

My grandparents had beautifully legible and gracious handwriting right up until the day they died - and both were well into their 70s when that happened. I myself used to have a good 'pen hand' that earned me a lot of compliments. But after the last 15 years of virtually nothing but keyboards, I now find I can sometimes barely read a note I wrote a week earlier. And that is especially true if it was written in a hurry.

Sad really, when you think about it. :'(

Darwin:
Try walking into a first or second university classroom to administer a test and realizing that there are a few students who don't know how to read the face of an analogue clock!

f0dder:
Ugh, I can't stand longhand writing style. Might be fast to write in, but it's darn hard to read sometimes... one would suppose I'm good at reading it since I work at post.dk, manually typing in the receiver for letters the OCR system can't handle. But it's more a matter of pattern recognition than actually reading the darn crud :)
-f0dder (October 26, 2008, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think one of the reasons you can call it "darn crud" is because people now write so seldomly that their penmanship suffers from the lack of practice. There was a time not so very long ago when being able to write "in a fair hand" was considered a necessary accomplishment for anyone who professed to have an education.
-40hz (October 27, 2008, 06:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nah, it's longhand/cursive itself. Sure, some people write (a lot!) more incomprehensible than other, but in general I find it ugly and harder to read than normal writing.

Darwin:
Heh, heh - f0dder, I grew up feeling (and still feeling) that cursive IS normal writing!

Grorgy:
must be an age thing, if it isn't normal writing, what is??  :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version