ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Things your kids will never know - old school tech!

<< < (7/35) > >>

40hz:
1. Mechanical clock mechanisms and wind-up wristwatches.

2. Basement Fallout Shelters (Unless they make a come back. Let's hope they don't.)

3. Analog "anything"

4. Dacron fabrics

5. APL -  "The Last Computer Language" (yeah right! Sorry IBM ;D)

40hz:
Heh, heh - Brandon, I think 40hz was commenting on the quality of the music played on the radio...  ;)
-Darwin (October 22, 2008, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

T'wasn't me that said that!

But while we're on the subject, how about when MTV actually was about music? ;D

CWuestefeld:
5. APL -  "The Last Computer Language" (yeah right! Sorry IBM ;D)
-40hz (October 22, 2008, 09:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

OK - since this is DonationCoder, how about ridiculously obsolete computer languages that you spent time learning but will never use again? For me:

* Assemblers: Z80, 6502, IBM 370, PDP-11
* APL (here and here)
* SNOBOL
* TIF (not graphics but a DB platform for IBM mainframes, kinda analogous to Access. I can't even find a web page for it)
* FORTRAN
* Rexx - scripting language for IBM mainframes and OS/2. Pretty cool, actually, anticipating some of the features of today's dynamic languages. Here, here, and here. Internally, IBM had a visual tool for building client-server apps in Rexx, internally called "Red October" iirc, that could have been a VB-killer, but they never released it -- letting it die just like OS/2

Darwin:
Heh, heh - Brandon, I think 40hz was commenting on the quality of the music played on the radio...  ;)
-Darwin (October 22, 2008, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

T'wasn't me that said that!

But while we're on the subject, how about when MTV actually was about music? ;D

-40hz (October 22, 2008, 09:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

OK - sorry, shouldn't have put words in your mouth (or is that wrested them from your fingertips  :o)  :-[

PaladinMJ:
Yeah, remember when a phone RANG? Like with a real BELL and everything?
 (see attachment in previous post)
The next time I hear someone's phone go "Doop Dippity Doop Doop" or blast the latest pop hit as the startled owner frantically fumbles in their purse or pocket to quiet the vile wireless beastie will be WAAAY too soon...
-Edvard (October 21, 2008, 11:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

my "ring tone" is a voice saying: FOLLOW THE SOUND OF MY VOICE AND KILL WHOEVER HAS THIS CELL PHONE". i  hate having one and i truly mean it. but it is a neccisity as i have medical conditions and have family with same, I had a cell phoe when they where big ol' bricks litterally and had to be installed in the car.
and a pager that was almost as large.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version