ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Things your kids will never know - old school tech!

<< < (11/35) > >>

cranioscopical:
Have we had 'clockwork' yet?

Grorgy:
stone tablets and a chisel?

Darwin:
Well, not quite to the level of stone tablet and chisel but:

1. Fountain pens
2. (Soon) hand writing and paper
3. Reading an actual book

40hz:
Well, not quite to the level of stone tablet and chisel but:
2. (Soon) hand writing and paper

-Darwin (October 26, 2008, 11:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

I copy that, Darwin. Hope this doesn't happen to you:

I was in Barnes & Noble not too long ago. For some odd reason, I didn't have a credit card on me - but I did have my checkbook in my jacket pocket. I wrote out a check in standard schoolboy cursive script and handed it to the young cashier who seemed almost shocked to see something that anachronistic being handed to her.

She looked at my check blankly for a minute and then asked, "Is this written in some sort of foreign language?"

I told her no, it was English. She looked over her shoulder at another equally young cashier who came up behind and proceeded to ask her if she had ever seen writing like mine. The other young lady exclaimed "Oh, yeah. Wow! My mother writes like that sometimes. She had a name for it, but I don't remember what it was"

I told her it was usually called longhand. "Yeah, that was it," she agreed.

The first cashier had by now gotten an approval from her cash register and bagged my three O'Reilly titles.

As she handed the bag to me, she smiled and said, "Longhand huh? Is that anything like shorthand?"

I nodded and said "a little bit," before I smiled back, thanked her, and walked away.

Back out  in the car I just sat there for a minute.

For the very first time in my life I really did feel OLD.

zridling:
[Darwin]: Good one! I remember life before the cell phone. It was a gentler, simpler time...
--- End quote ---
(And a more polite time, too. It's very weird to hear people talking on the phone in the public restroom while taking a dump.)

Also, rotary dial phones. My mom just got hers replaced after being in the house for 60 years. Don't laugh, it still worked. How many gadgets can you say that for?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version