ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Getting rid of windows shell

<< < (3/5) > >>

MrCrispy:
Are there any functional advantages to these? i.e. besides looking cool and the widgets etc. If you run explorer (the file manager), use the file open/save dialog from any app, or run IE, you are effectively running explorer.exe, so I don't see how using a different shell will save any memory or resources. Quite the contrary in fact.

f0dder:
Are there any functional advantages to these? i.e. besides looking cool and the widgets etc. If you run explorer (the file manager), use the file open/save dialog from any app, or run IE, you are effectively running explorer.exe, so I don't see how using a different shell will save any memory or resources. Quite the contrary in fact.-MrCrispy (October 20, 2008, 02:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
Using many of the same DLLs yes, using explorer.exe no.

You don't save much in RAM or CPU, but could be noticeable on really low-performance systems.

Paul Keith:
Uh...ok
--- End quote ---

Sorry. Took the funniness of it away too much?

Are there any functional advantages to these? i.e. besides looking cool and the widgets etc. If you run explorer (the file manager), use the file open/save dialog from any app, or run IE, you are effectively running explorer.exe, so I don't see how using a different shell will save any memory or resources. Quite the contrary in fact.
--- End quote ---

Besides what fodder said, there's also the illusion of minimalism that helps motivate users to become more productive.

Edvard:
Besides what fodder said, there's also the illusion of minimalism that helps motivate users to become more productive.

--- End quote ---

Whoa! I couldn't have said it better myself.
For a while I had a Litestep setup that was basically a kiosk for what I did at work. It's really just a print/scan workstation, so I thought "why do I need all these desktop icons and quicklaunch nonsense? I'm taking it to bare bones!"

I must say I felt more productive. Maybe because I had less extraneous info to focus on?

If you want to try a REALLY minimal shell, try the GO shell
FEATURES:
GO is FREEWARE (do you hear the sound of baby angels singing?)

GO is set to IDLE CPU usage, which means it doesn't gulp your runtimes.

GO, as a shell, can start with system resources above 90% (Mileage may vary)

--- End quote ---
(there's more 'features' listed at the website)
There's even a "light" version...  :huh:

40hz:
If I could just get something that worked like FARR or Direct Folders ( www.directfolders.com ) as my main interface, and something like NexusFile to replace Explorer, I'd be perfectly happy. Toss in a copy of the K-Melon browser and Notepad++ for text work and I'd be ready to roll.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version