Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 17, 2014, 10:42:01 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Check out and download the GOE 2007 Freeware Challenge productivity tools.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: [bug report] FARR is putting two entries in Startup folder  (Read 3723 times)
tinjaw
Supporting Member

I'm so glad breakbeat techno isn't an illegal drug

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: October 19, 2008, 11:28:45 AM »

version 2.30.01

When I check the box in General Options to "Start automatically when Windows starts" I get two entries in the same Startup folder. I can consistently reproduce.

d4ni
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 01:21:30 PM »

I think Mouser would like to know which version of Windows you are running (+ service pack) smiley I can't remember having the same issue running Windows XP SP3..
ewemoa
Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 03:57:33 PM »

FWIW, I tried to duplicate this after a fresh install [1] of 2.30.01 under Windows XP Pro SP3 and the result was that I only got one entry in my Startup folder.

[1] I didn't run FindAndRunRobotInstall.exe to install -- I just unzip FindAndRunRobotSetup.zip and run FindAndRunRobot.exe from within the resulting folder.
tinjaw
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 06:48:19 PM »

WinXP SP3 here. I did a install from EXE about 5 days ago.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 12:50:53 AM »

if you delete both entries and then run farr does it recreate both, or just one?
tinjaw
Supporting Member

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 08:39:19 AM »

Both. And toggling off startup support in FARR will also delete both.

tinjaw
Supporting Member

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 06:34:38 PM »

I do not know the cause yet, but it is not a but in FARR. I have been seeing this same behavior with several other programs recently. It is obviously something wrong with my Windows configuration.

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 09:15:14 PM »

can't be two entries in the same Startup folder. one must be in '<username>/Start Menu' and the other 'All Users/Start Menu'.

Note: just noticed your last post. since it's 'spreading' to other programs as well, something is definitely wrong with your Startup folders in general. will let you know if i find out anything. smiley

tinjaw
Supporting Member

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 09:46:17 PM »

I think I figured out what is happening. Now I need to test my theory. I think I somehow moved my personal startup folder with the All Users startup folder. My personal one is missing. I am about to check the registry. I bet they are both pointing to the same folder and if I split them up again, all will be fine.

Now I need to research how to test and fix this.

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 09:52:39 PM »

you can use TweakUI to point to your userprofile Startup folder or take a look here to manually edit your registry.

Tweak UI

http://windowstipsandfixe...store-startup-folder.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.04s | Server load: 0 ]