topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 2:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: -show = start FARR visible (or bring up any running copy)  (Read 4155 times)

dreftymac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Greetings Fellow-FARR-Fans,

After learning about the command-line arguments that you can send to FARR, I tried to use the -show option. It works, but it does not seem to work as advertised in the help document. Specifically, the part about "(or bring up any running copy) " doesn't seem to actually bring up an existing instance of FARR.

To prove this I created a script that just calls FARR after one instance is already running and showing in the taskbar. Sure enough, when running the script there is a slight delay and then FARR runs a second instance, which clearly shows up in the taskbar along with the previous instance.

### QUESTION 1:
Is there something I'm doing wrong, or a special way to formulate the commandline string so that FARR will simply instantiate the already-running instance?

### QUESTION 2:
If -show is truly capable of running an existing instance of FARR, is it also possible to use -show in combination with -search so that the already-running instance of FARR can be instantiated, and pre-populated with a filled-in search (such as an alias string)? I tried both and niether option seems to honor the (any running copy) clause.

Thanks in advance for any additional insight.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: -show = start FARR visible (or bring up any running copy)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 04:20 PM »
i'll be releasing a new version this weekend -- i'll check this out and see what might be wrong, and make it so you can do #2 if it's not already possible.