Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 24, 2014, 04:07:18 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dictionary, list of words, etc.  (Read 4991 times)
Fred Nerd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: October 18, 2008, 12:26:08 AM »

Hi,
I'm not a very good programmer, but I wanted to make myself something which is sort of a scrabble practise game. Basically it finds a random word, then mixes up the letter and asks me what it is.

So far I have got an AHK script which works on words up to 7 letters long, which will scramble the letters, and a gui to make it useable.
I just need a list of all available words.
(then need to find a way to select a random one.....computers don't like random..)
Anyone know of such a resource?
Of course I could just use a few wordy letters/wepages/e-books, but I want to do it properly..

Thanks
fenixproductions
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 07:36:33 AM »

2Fred Nerd
You can download dictionaries from here:
http://wiki.services.open...ice.org/wiki/Dictionaries

The only thing to do with them is opening DIC files and stripping characters after "/" for words (and maybe changing line ends). Those files are the lists of words (1 word per line) sometimes in the form of "abbreviation/M". Nothing hard to fix with RegExp.

Надо было учиться, а не камни в школу бросать...
--
f0dder is my personal hero smiley
Fred Nerd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 08:03:22 AM »

Perfect, thanks.
I'll show them at scrabble now

If it works well I'll share it,
I'll see.
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 06:38:36 AM »

Here is some more: http://wordlist.sourceforge.net

justabeginner
Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 10:23:36 PM »

Have a look at the program I have made to make up your own wordlists. It's only 92 kB.

http://www.donationcoder....m/index.php?topic=19514.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.032s | Server load: 0.06 ]