ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Rats! MS Auto Updates Got Me Again!

<< < (6/7) > >>

myarmor:
Autopatcher XP is the way I do my updates..
I've never had any issues with it, and in the newer versions the updater retrieves the files directly from MS anyway, making it faster to download and is as good as if not better than autoupdates.

Oh, and it's seems to always be a total of a single reboot afterwards, no matter how many updates you apply.

In addition to that I prefer to do it this way because I only need to download them once, not for every system and VM I use.

Paul Keith:
I prefer to rely on patches from the source. I figure MS knows which patches are meant for the public. I've seen too many users who feel they have to have EVERY patch when certain ones are designed to fix a specific issue which is not affecting their machines.
-Josh (October 21, 2008, 09:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure if Autopatcher does this. Actually from what little I notice of the patches, usually Autopatcher even goes a step further and make sure there's a safe version of Autopatcher and a recent version. They even revert back to warn users where as MS is like Linux updating where unless you are using the right distro, any update can screw you up with no warning if you just click yes.

manimatters:
Am I the only person who has NEVER had a problem with an update from MS? Any problem I have is usually caused by another product and NOT the Windows OS or a patch to one of its components.

WOOT! 1500 Posts!
-Josh (October 18, 2008, 01:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Even ive had no problems with windows updates ever. Now that I think of it, its surprising.

J-Mac:
Maybe it's that I have 1.5 TB of storage attached to my system, and several hundred applications installed (I wanna be like Darwin!!!   :D ). That might tend to be more vulnerable to some updates. Also, and I know that this matters - I have an AMD chip instead of Intel. Changes made by MS are tested much more thoroughly on Intel-based machines than with AMD chips. (Probably because there are more Intel machines??)

Jim

mahesh2k:
Thanks 40hz, i'm going to try "Heise Security's ct-offline-updater" now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version