ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Rats! MS Auto Updates Got Me Again!

(1/7) > >>

J-Mac:
I am really hating Microsoft right now! Even worse than usual!

Today I installed 7 Updates from them. Restarted and no internet connection. Could not get either of my two adapters to connect. Restarted my router a few times: nothing.

Then I remembered reading something about he latest updates causing internet connection issues for some. That would normally have been enough to delay my installing these, but I had just installed 9 of them on my Vista notebook last night and although at first, after a restart, it could not load my user profile, a second restart and bypassing the Fingerprint scanner worked OK. I figured that was it.

Wrong again, of course! Nothing could get me connected again, though the notebook was connecting just fine.

I uninstalled all the updates, not knowing which caused it and they have no description available after they are installed. (IF I had an internet connection I could have searched around!)  I could have searched using the notebook, but I was so pissed that I just uninstalled all, restarted the computer, restarted (repowered) the router, and all was well in my world again.

That's it. No more. I edited my Group Policy to only notify me of available downloads but not automatically download them.

NO more updates will be installed here anymore until at least a full month has passed without any news of such "uh-ohs".  Grrrrr.

Jim

Josh:
Am I the only person who has NEVER had a problem with an update from MS? Any problem I have is usually caused by another product and NOT the Windows OS or a patch to one of its components.

WOOT! 1500 Posts!

J-Mac:
Am I the only person who has NEVER had a problem with an update from MS? Any problem I have is usually caused by another product and NOT the Windows OS or a patch to one of its components.

WOOT! 1500 Posts!
-Josh (October 18, 2008, 01:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

You must be! I went for years without a hitch. Of course that was when I was using fairly stock computers: Dell Dimensions or HP Pavilions with pretty standard components. Ever since I got this "upscale" bastard with supposedly high-end components (which all have been replaced at least once!), it seems like it is more prone to conflicts. Too many HDD's, etc.

Who knows?!

Jim

CleverCat:
Latest updates had a problem with Zone Alarm....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956803

J-Mac:
Latest updates had a problem with Zone Alarm....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956803
-CleverCat (October 18, 2008, 01:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Everything has a problem with Zone Alarm, doesn’t it?  ;D

However I haven't used Zone Alarm in, oh, maybe four or five years, and never on this box.

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version