ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Digital Music Purchases - Downloads or Ripped CD's?

(1/5) > >>

J-Mac:
I'm just curious: Other than the ability to purchase only specific tracks, how do most here purchase their digital music, by purchasing downloaded MP3's or purchasing and ripping CD's?

I'm not talking about sharing music; just purchasing online. I have done both, though usually I only purchase downloadable MP3's if I don’t want all tracks on a given album. But for entire albums I usually just purchase the CD and then rip them to my HDD.

Thanks!

Jim

tsaint:
I've (almost) given up buying cds... mainly download from emusic. Given the poor range of jazz cds available in stores in almost all australian stores, I'm shopping a lot cheaper with a hugely improved range.
I did buy 2 michael feinstein cds in the past year tho

4wd:
I'm not talking about sharing music; just purchasing online. I have done both, though usually I only purchase downloadable MP3's if I don’t want all tracks on a given album. But for entire albums I usually just purchase the CD and then rip them to my HDD.-J-Mac (October 17, 2008, 12:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

If there's an album I really, really want, (which basically means nothing made in the last 10 years or so), then I'll go to a pawn shop and buy it, then rip it.

I don't pay full price for an album......ever.

Used is fine by me.

Josh:
I support most bands that I listen to on a daily or weekly basis. Bands like Metallica, megadeth, slayer, disturbed, korn, etc. I will always buy their cd and in the case of Metallica's latest release (death magnetic), I bought the coffin box gift set which includes the CD, digital download, demo cd, dvd with making of footage, guitar picks, bonus code for download of a live show, poster, flag, and a bunch of other things. I will then rip the CD to a VBR mp3 set as I don't believe that the different in quality for FLAC or other "lossless" audio files is worth the extra space. The difference between the two I don't even really notice, if at all.

J-Mac:
...I will then rip the CD to a VBR mp3 set as I don't believe that the different in quality for FLAC or other "lossless" audio files is worth the extra space. The difference between the two I don't even really notice, if at all.
-Josh (October 17, 2008, 01:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

To be honest, neither can I. I guess I have never had quite that discriminating of an ear!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version