topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:06 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Internet-Style Email Indenting / UnIndenting on Selected Text  (Read 7806 times)

Christian.Eitner

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello everyone,

At my company, I am confined to use Outlook as my email client. Outlook is not very smart when it comes to handling text-only, Internet-style email indenting (quoting).

I would wish for an application-independent way to apply the following to selected text:
<pre>
A line of text
Another line of text
</pre>
Select both lines -> Magic indent shortcut ->
<pre>
> A line of text
> Another line of text
</pre>
(lines stay selected)
-> Magic indent shortcut again ->
<pre>
>> A line of text
>> Another line of text
</pre>
-> Magic unindent shortcut ->
<pre>
> A line of text
> Another line of text
</pre>
-> Magic unindent shortcut  again ->
<pre>
A line of text
Another line of text
</pre>
-> Magic unindent shortcut  again -> Nothing should happen

Ideally, the character used for quoting would be parameterizable, but this is really only optional.

I have the constant feeling that AHK could accomplish that, but I don't get the knack of dealing with the notion of 'selected text'.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your consideration,

Christian

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Internet-Style Email Indenting / UnIndenting on Selected Text
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 05:59 AM »
would wish for an application-independent way to apply the following to selected text:
-Christian.Eitner (October 15, 2008, 02:44 AM)

There're quite a few small utilities for cleaning and reflowing (reformatting) grunged e-mail, some of them listed on the AskMisterEmail.com Other mail tools page, many of them free.  They usually work through the clipboard.  I recommend Clippy, which I sometimes use myself for minor text transformations.  Another program well spoken-of (but not tried by me) is Boxer Software's TextMonkey, which comes in freeware Lite and payware versions.  Watch their online demo!

Some clipboard enhancers have similar tools built in, e.g. none other than mouser's own ClipBoardHelp+Spell (CHS).  In this case you need more mouse clicks to invoke them, compared with Clippy's hotkey approach.  Recent versions of XRayz Software's (payware) ClipCache have similar features.  Full-fledged clipboard enhancers might offer more than you want, though very useful to have in themselves.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 06:18 AM by rjbull »

Christian.Eitner

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 08:18 AM »

There're quite a few small utilities for cleaning and reflowing (reformatting) grunged e-mail, some of them listed on the AskMisterEmail.com Other mail tools page, many of them free.

[...]

I went there and found Outlook-QuoteFix (http://home.in.tum.d...re/outlook-quotefix/), which I will try for now, since it handles some additional Outlook quirks.

Thanks for the links.

Cheers,

Christian

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 04:51 AM »
I'll just put in another plug for my Clipboard Help+Spell program if you do this kind of stuff a lot -- only because CHS lets you create text formatting presets/scripts that you can run on selected text really easily.  I use it to format text quite often -- you highlight some text -- hit the CHS hotkey to bring up the menu, choose the Formatting Presets submenu, and then select from your saved presets/scripts.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 05:06 AM »
When I used Outlook Express for usenet, I used OE QuoteFix myself, and it worked pretty well - and had the advantage that the stuff was automated and integrated.
- carpe noctem

Christian.Eitner

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 12:22 PM »
Hi mouser,

I'll just put in another plug for my Clipboard Help+Spell program if you do this kind of stuff a lot -- only because CHS lets you create text formatting presets/scripts that you can run on selected text really easily.  I use it to format text quite often -- you highlight some text -- hit the CHS hotkey to bring up the menu, choose the Formatting Presets submenu, and then select from your saved presets/scripts.

Would be great!

Cheers,

Christian

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 03:28 PM »
There are already some good suggestions but here's yet another alternative in the shape of an autohotkey script:
F3::
F4::
clipboard =
sendinput ^c
ClipWait, 2
if A_ThisHotkey = F3
 x := RegExReplace(clipboard,"m)^>","")
else
 x := RegExReplace(clipboard,"m)^",">")
clipboard = %x%
sendinput ^v
return